Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had blurred vision for a week in my right eye,went to

I have had blurred vision for a week in my right eye,went to dr.they gave me meds,still the same,now what

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been examined by an ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about your blurred vision. Is it just the center of your vision that is blurry? Did it come on all of a sudden? Any pain? etc?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing. I will standby

Dr. Rick :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

I got sick with a cold after christmas,very dry couch,then runny nose,then not being able to breath,i last had tylenol cold and flu and nasal moisturizing spray,

Dr. Rick :

OK. Tell me more about the eye issue........

Dr. Rick :

And were you seen by an ophthalmologist, optometrist or general doctor? Are you on any eye drops or are you taking the steroids by mouth?

Customer:

couple of hours after takeing,if i bent down iwould loss sight,it would fade back in slowly,this was for two days. iwent to the ergent care on 12-31-12 that is when they give the meds

Customer:

Have not been seen by a optometrist,and yes takeing the steroid by mouth

Dr. Rick :

So, your vision would fade away on that eye and then fade back in, as if someone was slowly turning on and off a dimmer switch, is this correct?

Customer:

yes,i can see, but it is blurred

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for that information.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your time.....you need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure why your primary care MD has not jumped all over this issue right away.......

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

So do i go to aophthalmologist,optometrist or my regular dr

Dr. Rick :

I would go to an ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis. Then she and your regular doctor can work together to do the appropriate workup.

Customer:

which dr do i need to see,

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Hi Bobbie,

I was just thinking about you and wondering what the doctors have figured out concerning your vision loss. I hope you are doing better. Have a good day.