Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I am 33, recently i wake up with puffy eyes, even if i sleep

I am 33, recently i wake up with puffy eyes, even if i sleep before the next day, during the day it reduces... how can i know what is the cause of those puffy eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

It appears that your off-line, so I'll go ahead and give you a little bit of background and later you can come back and ask more questions if you'd like. Puffy eyes are the result of either increase fluid retention around the eyes or mild weakening of the membranes in the lid. The latter is usually seen in older people and can sometimes be a family trait. In someone your age we initially think of an allergic cause ( perhaps new detergent for the bed linens, new body cleaning products or makeup) or possibly a sinus related issue. It is important to trace down the precise cause leading to the retention of fluid around the eyes, and the best place to start is for you to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. There are many products in the market which advertise that they reduce puffy eyes. But before you began using any of the over-the-counter treatments, please consider having your eyes properly examined by an ophthalmologist to determine the precise cause. I hope this is answered your question. If it has, thank you for allowing me to help. If you have any additional questions, please type them out, and later today when I get back online I will respond. However if this has answered your question, please click the big smiley face to rate my response before you check out. Best wishes.

Customer:

how can i know if it is allergy or sinus? i did a sinus scan and turned out that i have a bit...but not sure if it is allergy too.

Dr. Tom :

Yes, determining that is the most important issue....and that is why I recommended that you need an ophthalmologist to evaluate you properly. In fact, you could have both allergies and sinus contributing to the puffiness. Does that make sense?

Dr. Tom :

It looks like you are off line again, so before you check out please rate our conversation by clicking the big smiley face. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems