Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

i got puffy ness around my eyes

Customer Question

i got puffy ness around my eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Please tell me how long you have had this puffiness and you have any itching around your eyes?

Customer :

i got this problem almost six months but no itiching

Dr. Tom :

Do you have any medical conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disease or anything else for which you take medications?

Customer :

yas iam diabeties on border

Dr. Tom :

It's the puffiness on both the upper lids and lower lids?

Customer :

i take flurazepam as sleep medicine

Customer :

lower lids specialy wheen iget up early in the morninng

Dr. Tom :

well, your sleep medication is not likely related to this. However the presence of the puffiness, what we refer to as orbital or lower lid edema, being more noticeable in the morning suggest that it might be related to tissue fluid accumulation. Somewhat like swollen ankles. Do you think that other members of your family have similar lower lid edema problems?

Dr. Tom :

Lower lid swelling is often a family trait.

Customer :

my father had the same problem but he died because of kidney failure .i knee when he drinks liquor the next day he had that same pyffy ness

Dr. Tom :

Without being able to physically examine you, it is likely that you have mild dermatochalasia. This is correctable by a common surgical procedure, often done in the ophthalmologist's office. But again, without an examination it is not possible to give you a 100 percent diagnosis. For that reason it would be my first recommendation that you make an appointment with a medical eye specialist, and ophthalmologist. This that makes sense.?

Dr. Tom :

The term dermatochalasia is probably not familiar to you, so may I suggest you do a quick Google search for the condition. You'll find many excellent explanations which I'm sure you'll find helpful.

Dr. Tom :

Are there any other questions which I may answer for you tonight?

Customer :

thanks i might see eye specialist but my internal medicine thought i got seasonal allergyand he advised me to have clratin but it didnot work.by the way who is opthakmogist.thanks

Dr. Tom :

An ophthalmologist is a medically trained physician who specializes in eye diseases and eye surgery. Be sure that the eye doctor you select to examine you has an MD behind his name. Best wishes, and before you check out please be sure to click one of the smiley faces.

Customer :

thanks

Dr. Tom :

You're very welcome. Good night.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please be sure to take a second and click the big smiling face to rate our chat.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jimmy,

Please rate our chat by clicking the smiley face.

Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Jimmy....Please rate my response to you by clicking the big smiley face. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Jimmy. I just want to make sure that I answered your questions satisfactorily because it's important to us that you rate our answers with one of the big smiley faces. So please click on the smiling face before you sign off. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please rate our conversation. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I thought I would just ask once more for you to take a minute and rate our conversation by clicking on the big smiling face. Thank you very much.