Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I am 68 years old. Fifteen years ago I underwent surgery for

I am 68 years old. Fifteen years ago I underwent surgery for epiretinal membrane, but my central vision in my left eye did not improve. My brain compensates for the distorted vision in the left eye and I've been able to read and function normally ... until about two years ago. When I move my head, it seems to take a split second for my focus to clear, causing a sort of faint dizziness. I've been to an ENT, taken the balance testing, even done balance therapy, to no avail. Is it just aging? Do I just have to get used to this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

OK, I'm online

Dr. Tom :

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to give you a useful answer. Give me just a second type out some additional information and then we will get our chat started.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Tom :

As we age, our balance system becomes a little less capable of responding. Normal balance is generated by several systems. The three most important are those that come from vision and gaze stabilization, input from the inner ear and what is known as proprioception( meaning input from information gathered by the peripheral nervous system, i.e. from our feet, legs and movement of our head and other body movements. The loss of the central vision in your left eye may be a small component of your recent think the dizziness. But it is doubtful that it is a major component. I am glad you have had some of the balance therapy. I am surprised that you did not have improvement because highly specialized vestibular physical therapist achieve exceptional results. There may be a little of this that you have to " get used to"..... but if you were one of my patients I would certainly want to ensure that you had had vestibular rehabilitation including a lot of work on gaze stabilization. Does that make sense

Customer:

It makes perfect sense. In fact, I DID have a bit of improvement as a result of the balance therapy, but the positive effects wore off within a few weeks of my "graduation" from therapy. I actually have an appt with my ENT in a few weeks. I'll follow up with him, and perhaps I'll have to go for more therapy. Many thanks!

Dr. Tom :

You're very welcome.

Dr. Tom :

Did we get all of your questions answered?

Customer:

Big smiley face. :-)

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems