Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My mom, who is near-sighted, had cataract surgery overseas

My mom, who is near-sighted, had cataract surgery overseas six months ago. During the surgery, the wrong lens was implanted. According to her surgeon, a lens for someone with presbyopia was inadvertently implanted. She now has difficulty seeing both up close and far away. Glasses have not helped much. Is there anything that could potentially be done to correct this? She has lazy eye in her other eye, which now leaves her with very bad vision in both eyes. Is there any way to replace the lens, use a piggyback lens, or correct with laser surgery or combination? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

I would be happy to chat.

Dr. Tom :

Hello, and thanks for your question. Yes there are a number of things that can be considered. It is possible to exchange the lens, and that is a procedure that is frequently done in cases such as your mother's. As far as laser surgery is concerned, that too may be a possibility. Is it possible for her to be seen by an American specialist?

Customer:

She could potentially fly over, but she is 77 years old and not keen on flying. However, she would consider it.

Customer:

I have read that lens replacement surgery is risky...

Customer:

What would the success rate be?

Dr. Tom :

Yes, anytime we have to reenter the eye there are risk. Nevertheless, lens exchange surgery is common, effective and can potentially correct your mother's problem. There are specialist in most major cities who have a high degree of experience in both lens exchange surgery and combined corneal refractive surgery. If you would like, and tell me a large convenient city to you I'll take a look and see if I can find an appropriate surgeon. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, thank you. I am in San Francisco, but she might be willing to fly as far as New York, so either metro area would work great. Thank you again!!

Dr. Tom :

You're quite welcome, and I know a very good center in New York. I will send that name and address to you in a follow-up communication. The reason I don't want to break away from this chat to get the website link is that my experience in this chat format is that if I do we will lose this thread. So before we sign off let me make sure you don't have any other questions?

Customer:

No further questions!

Dr. Tom :

OK I will step out and let you rate our chat. I will use the one day follow up format to sent the NY Surgery center to you. Thanks for lettingme help.

Customer:

Thank you doctor, I appreciate it very much!!

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Dear Nick,

Here is the reference I promised. Best of luck to your mother.
( ps...I do not personally know this doctor...but I have heard him lecture several time and am very impressed with him )

Eric D. Donnenfeld, MD
Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology
New York University Medical Center
Trustee Dartmouth Medical School
Founding Partner
Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island
New York, New York