Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was diagnosed with lice a month ago from my doctor who performed

I was diagnosed with lice a month ago from my doctor who performed a visual diagnosis. I used everything my doctor prescribed and have cleaned and recleaned as directed over and over again. I believe I was misdiagnosed by my doctor and I do believe I have a parasite. I applied another treatment last night and noticed that while I was following the instructions to continue to massage treatment into scalp, the parasites were responding by secreting a sticky type of glue on my head. I then tried to comb them out but the gluey substance made it impossible by breaking the teeth of the metal comb. The evidence left in my sink indicates to me that they are possibly some type of worm with similar egg casings that look like nits. After rinsing with the hottest water tolerable, I combed and combed. I used an oral flush several times for my eyes because some of the eggs or egg casings were in my eyes. This only irritated my eyes because the particles stuck to the inside of my eyelids and felt very much like I had sand in my eyes. The experience was completely unnerving for me! I woke up this morning and my eyes felt very sticky and it apprears that there are little white things stuck on my eyelashes.

This feels to me, of course, like an emergcy that I need diagnosed now and it is Sunday. My roommate told me that I should go to our local hospital emergency room. I know how overcrowded ER's have become and I don't want to add to that problem even though I am extreme distress.

This has become an absolute emergency to me; my scalp feels like there are things moving around up there and my lower eyelids are swollen and hurt.

Does this constitute an emergency room visit like it feels to me?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for your very extensive post.

Dr. Rick :

While you are correct that your condition is not an "emergency" like, say, a heart attack would be, it is still an emergency to you.

Dr. Rick :

As such, I agree with your roommate: It is entirely appropriate for you to go to the ER with this issue since it is causing you so much distress and discomfort.

Dr. Rick :

Make sure to bring your medication with you so that the ER MD can have a look at it.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Thank you for your very extensive post.
Dr. Rick : While you are correct that your condition is not an "emergency" like, say, a heart attack would be, it is still an emergency to you.
Dr. Rick : As such, I agree with your roommate: It is entirely appropriate for you to go to the ER with this issue since it is causing you so much distress and discomfort.
Dr. Rick : Make sure to bring your medication with you so that the ER MD can have a look at it.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to leave a tip, although it is very much appreciated; I am not employed at this time and my income is extremely limited.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Tracey,

I understand completely.....thanks for the thought -- that is more then enough :)

I hope you feel better soon.