Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I havent been to any eye doctor for over five years. I cant

I haven't been to any eye doctor for over five years. I can't see from seven feet away which is not really far and I know that I need glasses but I didn't have the time to go and have an eye checkup. About two weeks ago I've started experiencing mild vertigo. When I do things like read, watch TV, use the computer or even squint to try and see from far I feel slight dizziness that comes and goes. For instance, when I woke up this morning, I didn't get this mild vertigo but when I used my cellphone for a couple of minutes it started to appear and it keeps coming and going for the whole day. I've also been told that my eye looks tired. I just want to know if this mild vertigo is the result of my poor eyesight and the fact the I need glasses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hello.

Dr. Tom : Good morning, well, it first certainly does sound like you need a pair glasses to have good distance vision. But it is unlikely that your vertigo is caused by that need. Rather,your vertigo is most likely coming from an inter ear problem. How many Times in the past have you experienced vertigo.
Customer:

I've never experienced vertigo that doesn't go away. So this is the first.

Dr. Tom : Okay, thanks for that. So, to answer your central question....... Your need for glasses is not the cause. I would recommend two things. First, make an appointment with an ENT specialist to determine the cause of your vertigo. And the second thing, which you already know, is that you need to have your eyes examined for a proper pair of eyeglasses. Does that make sense?
Customer:

What's an ENT specialist?

Dr. Tom : Do you have any other questions which I may answer regarding this.
Dr. Tom : Sorry, I typed over you. That is the type of specialist that examines for ear, nose and throat problems.
Customer:

Ok, got it. Thank you Dr. Tom for your time. Much appreciated!

Dr. Tom : Thank you for allowing me to help you.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I went to an ENT specialist yesterday as you recommended and he said that my ears are normal and he gave me Betahistine Dihydrochloride 16mg. He told me to take it for 2 weeks. I haven't started taking them as I fear that they might have an effect on my kidneys or some other side effects. I've heard people say that tablets may cause kidney problems.

Also, I forgot to mention in my initial post and I don't know if it's worth mentioning but the vertigo started the day I went to the sea. I was driving a boat so fast and the wind was so strong. I had nothing on my head/ears to keep the wind out, this is the night I started feeling this vertigo, this was about 2 weeks ago and the vertigo didn't go ever since that night. Is it possible that the cold air went in my head is making me feel dizzy? Like I said it comes and goes, I don't feel like the room is moving but my head itself, I feel like my head is swaying by itself suddenly for a second then it goes.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, I am glad to hear back from you. Give me just a minute to pull reference from from the literature that I think you'll find interesting. Can you give me a couple of minutes to get back to you?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

The symptoms are now describing immediately brought to mind a fairly rare syndrome with which I am familiar because my interest in helping people with balance problems. It is called mal de debarqcuement.

Take a look at this website and after you have read it get back to me and tell me what you think.

http://www.etete.com/mdd/knowledge.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for replying. It says that travellers experience it temporarily after disembarking. This isn't the case with me, I've experienced it after a couple of hours not as soon as I left the boat. Also, this isn't the first time I've been on a boat. This never happened to me before.

It states that "the sensations are usually minimized by actual motion such as walking or driving". But I do feel it when I walk, read, etc.

What's the vestibular system? It seems this is the cause of the problem and I assume it's located in the ear. But when my doctor checked my ears he said everything is normal.

I also would like to know if it's a serious/dangerous condition? Should I be worried? Is there a cure or is it going to stay with me my whole life?? Will the tablet the doctor prescribed to me help?

I apologize for all the questions. I'd appreciate it if you could provide answers to them.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I just typed you a lengthy response. Did you get it, it seems to have disappeared from my screen. If not I will retype it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I'm sorry. I did not get it.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Okay I have now typed it and resend it for the second time.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I'll try again.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Because we keep losing the response I'm going to do this one question at time. Your symptoms may not completely fit the description but I'm sure that you understand that I complex system such as that of the vestibular system there many ways of presentation and patient responses. This is about as close a diagnosis as we come up with so far.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
The vestibular system is composed of the motion detecting portion of the interview ear and it's association with the balance centers including the brainstem, the cerebellum and gaze stabilization from the visual system. It's all about balance.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that interview ear was meant to be inner ear.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Sure no problem I'll be glad to try to clarify some of this. With these kind of conditions, I'm sure you realize that there is a tremendous variability in the way patients respond and present. But so far this seems to be about as close to a recognizable pattern as anything we've come up with so far. The vestibular system is generally understood to be the coordination between the motion detection portion of the inner ear and other complex interactions in the brain stem, cerebellum and in its association with gaze stabilization from the visual system.

Generally speaking there is nothing inherently dangerous in this but until it eventually clears it can be very disturbing.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know when you receive this. I hope this is answered your questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the vertigo go by itself? Or do I have to take the tablets?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Vertigo has the reputation of being recurrent but the medication which your ENT physician prescribed is commonly used to help manage the condition. Is there anything further than I may answer for you.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Thank you for the information.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I hope you have a very smooth course. Since you don't have any other questions please take a moment to rate your satisfaction with the help I have tried to provide.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Please rate our chat together. Thanks.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD