Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My daughter is 12 and has a 4.0 GPA even with 7 extra curricular

Customer Question

My daughter is 12 and has a 4.0 GPA even with 7 extra curricular activities. She has her eyes set on Stanford, but right now she has made it through the first elimination process to be only 1 of 10 girls in all of Nevada County to spend a week at U.C. Davis in the TechTrek program and shadow; she wants to be a doctor. What we need is some expert advice for her essay. She has the topic of seeing herself as a doctor in the future, and how would she use and relate math, science, and technology into her career. Are you able to help her please?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, I am here to help you. What kind of questions can I answer for you?
Customer :

As a physician how does math come into use and how often?

Doctor DanB : Math is constantly being used, such as calculating someone's body mass index (BMI), calculating a dosage for a particular drug, or knowing the conversion factors for magnifying lenses used with therapeutic lasers. These are just a few examples.
Customer :

what would be some other examples?

Doctor DanB : Converting units of measurements used in laboratory tests, knowing how much electricity to use when cardio-verting (shocking) someone, and also knowing how to convert eeg
Doctor DanB : Eyeglass prescriptions back and forth.
Customer :

What are some exciting parts of science that are used?

Doctor DanB : As an ophthalmologist, I use exciting science principles all the time. I use ultrasound (high frequency sound waves) probes to shatter hard cataracts in cataract surgery. I use lasers of different properties to break molecular bonds or to coagulatev(heat up and burn) leaking blood vessels. I also use a simple drop of a medicine to make someone who has horrible eye pain numb in just,three seconds!
Customer :

How would family doctors use science from new born to elderly?

Doctor DanB : A family doctor must use science to know how to xygenate a newborn infant in respiratory distress; they must know what a culture of a child's sore throat will tell them and how it can help them prescribe the right medicine to cure it; they must know the correct application of science to understand what the deflections on an EKG mean on the college athlete's physical; they must know the science behind different types of cancers and who are at risk for them and why to know who to screen for them and a what age; and they must know science well to discern whether a blood pressure of 95/65 is too low or not.
Customer :

What does xygenate mean?

Doctor DanB : Sorry; that should have said oxygenate.
Customer :

Oh, okay. What types of technology are used in a family practice setting?

Doctor DanB : Hemodynamics (blood pressure measuring), electrophysiology (EKG testing), thermal coagulation (cautery), ultrasound (to assess pregnancies), magnetic resonance (MRI).
Customer :

Approximately how many years of college does it take to be a family MD?

Doctor DanB : 4 years of undergraduate studies (college bachelor degree), 4 years of medical school, + at leastv3 years of residency, so total would be 11 years after high school (more if she chose a different specialty).
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions?
Customer :

Why did you choose to be an Opthamologist?

Doctor DanB : It gave me the best opportunity to have long-lasting relationships with patients in a clinic setting, the chance to do surgery and minor procedures, use the latest technology to help my patients, to affect immediate change in my patients' lives, and it is a relatively good lifestyle (have 4 kids!).
Customer :

I can appreciate that for I am the youngest of 6. I hope I enjoy it as much as you do. Thank you so much for your time and information. If I need more answers am I able to recontact you? I really hope I get picked. Last, can I use your name as referance for where I got my information on my report?

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Think long and hard about going into medicine, but if you truly want to do it, you will enjoy it. You can always come back and ask for me again. You can find more info at www.oregoneyedoctor.net, but my screen name and this website info should be sufficient.
Doctor DanB : Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
Customer :

I have enough information to get me started on my 6 paragraphs. Thank you. Have a great night. Bye. Gigi

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Don't forget to press the smiley face! Thanks!
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
K