Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Taking chemo,avastin and alimta. Eyes are dry and gooky.

Taking chemo,avastin and alimta. Eyes are dry and gooky. Crusted over often. Have to pry them open in morning. Very sore all around eye socket. Rinse often and use artificial tears, but would like something that will soothe the redness, itching, and puffiness.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-v6hyeprr- : Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely that apart from dry eyes there is some amount of blepharitis too. Blepharitis is often associated with dry eyes, inflammed lid margins ( redness and soreness).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are some simple remedies which are very beneficial in the treatment of blepharitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a note on this-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided.

•Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it might be harmful.

•Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

However you can continue using the artificial tears along with the above measures.

JACUSTOMER-v6hyeprr- : Very eager for relief. Would hydrocortisone or neosporin work?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case the puffiness and itching is more intense, you can take oral cetrizine (Tab.Zyrtec) 10 mg , one tablet at bedtime for 1 week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have neosporin/hydrocortisone eye ointment ?

JACUSTOMER-v6hyeprr- : No. Just plain hydrocortisone and plain neosporin, which stung my eyes when i applied it near them (not on lids)
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hydrocortisone eye ointment would be helpful if applied to the lid margins at bedtime, in the treatment of blepharitis. However it is only a short term course ( 1-2 weeks only) and should not be used for longer durations ( can have adverse side effects such as rise in intraocular pressure if used for long durations).It is better to first give the other suggested remedies a chance before you consider using hydrocortisone eye ointment.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-v6hyeprr- : My husband is on his way to get some baby shampoo right now. Thanks much.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sure these simple but very effective measures will give you the desired relief.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist