Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i had a black eye, its been 6 weeks now. but it is still visibly

Customer Question

i had a black eye, its been 6 weeks now. but it is still visibly darker than other eye. What can i do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

A large hematoma ( bruise) may take long to heal but the usual time is between 2-4 weeks. But if feel that the affected eye appears darker than the other side then you can just get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look at it. Sometimes the breakdown products of red blood cells such as hemosiderin can remain deposited for longer than the usual time especially under the skin. This may give an appearance of darker skin. But this is not a permanent condition and would resolve naturally in the forthcoming weeks. As it is around the eye it is better to avoid any local application of medicines. As long as the vision is normal in that eye and there is no pain or tenderness of the orbital walls, there should not be any matter of concern. If at all there is a doubt in this regard, the ophthalmologist may ask for an X-ray of the orbit.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I actually took an x-ray 2 days after the incident and the x-ray was cleared. No issue with vision either.

Is there any thing or medication or cream that i could apply to expedite the resolution?

Hello Edwin,

Thank you for the reply.

It is good to know that the X-ray was normal. In that case you can wait for natural resolution of the skin around the eye rather than apply any skin preparation( as it is around the eye, skin preparations are available for application to anyother part of the body).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks doc, is there an estimated time before i should really worry? or see a doctor. Am currently on work project in China and have limited access to decent doctors

Since this darker skin around one eye is definitely not a permanent thing, I guess it is alright to wait for another 3-4 weeks. After that if you feel that the eye still appears darker then it is better to consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look.

Have a good day and a very happy new year too!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will do. Thanks again doc

You are most welcome.

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi Edwin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai