Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My wife had cataract surgery in her left eye. She had the

My wife had cataract surgery in her left eye. She had the surgery on Wed the 2nd of January. Its now the 4th, Friday. She had the toric IOL put in. Her complaint before surgery was diagnosed cataract (as well as poor vision requiring toric contacts) which was causing poor night vision (glare, blurring, etc). It is now 48 hours after surgery and she is upset because although distance vision in daylight is getting much better, she still has the halo's and glare issues when driving at night. She says it is worse now then before she had surgery. She is using either a soft lens contact in right eye or her glasses with plain lens in left eye to see with as a matter of information.

Her concern is why isn't the night vision better and what if the next surgery scheduled the 16th of January has the same result

Any insight would be helpful
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes we are

Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Doctor DanB : I can certainly understand your wife's predicament and her anxiety about her worse symptoms two days after her cataract surgery. However, it is quite common for halos and glare to exist after the surgery, as a result of inflammation from the surgery, and this can be common  for sometimes a week or two after the surgery. On an uncommon occasion people can even have symptoms such as these for up to a month after surgery. I would recommend that if she did not have a complicated surgery that she be patient for a few more days as most of the worst of these symptoms will improve after the next few days. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Did that make sense?
Customer:

makes sense to me - I just need to convince her of this fact. I know %'s are hard to give but if you had 100 people who just had the surgery how many would you say would have glare or halo's at this point

Customer:

and should she see improvement in a week??

Doctor DanB : I would say at least 40-5%
Doctor DanB : 40-45%
Customer:

And is there anything specific she should discuss with her doctor next Wednesday at her next appointment?

Doctor DanB : I would expect a considerable improvement within a week.
Doctor DanB : Whether there were any complications that she should know about.
Customer:

Ok - that is helpful. I have also told her that her brain is still trying to adjust to one eye corrected by the IOL and the other seeing through a soft contact which was given to her to bring things close to the same and/or her old glasses with one plain lens.

Doctor DanB : Thats also definitely a factor.
Customer:

Not complications to the surgery. The doctor has done 5000 plus op's and not lost an eye yet as he told us and I believe him.

Doctor DanB : Those are good odds.
Customer:

Ok - thank you for the information, hopefully this will ease her concern!!!!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

we are leaving chat now again thanks

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology