Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Hi, I had cataract surgery 30 days ago on my left eye an had

Customer Question

Hi, I had cataract surgery 30 days ago on my left eye an had a monofocal IOL implanted (I don't know the power but my contact lens Rx was -6.0 and I know the lens is the tecnis brand.) My vision was 20/20 and great for the first 2 1/2 weeks then I started to notice a vertical streak whenever I looked at point light sources. This got worse over the next three days to the point where I see it even in daylight and on surfaces that reflect light. When I drive at night the streaks from the headlights are really long. The streak is always oriented in the same direction and is the same color of the light I am looking at. I searched the internet and thought I must have developed a wrinkle or fold in my capsule. I saw my ophthalmologist yesterday and when I told him what was going on he said it was probably due to the capsule. When he looked, however, he was unable to see any wrinkle. He said to give it time and come back at the end of January. It does seem like it has gotten a little bit better the past three days, but I am very worried about the thought of living with this streak for 30-40 years (I'm 50). Since it didn't develop until a few weeks after surgery, I'm hoping that it is in fact due to changes in the capsule and not the lens itself. If you could give me a second opinion as to what could be causing this, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hi. Thank you.

Dr. Tom : Please give me a moment until I can pull this up on another computer. Thank you
Customer:

No problem.

Dr. Tom : I am going to switch us over to the question and answer format . Please don't worry if it says the chat has ended. We are just getting started.
Customer:

ok

Dr. Tom : Are you getting my replays on Q and A ?
Customer:

No, sorry. Do I need to do something to get to the Q&A area?

Dr. Tom : Okay Let's just stay here for the time being. It will take me a little longer to type here so bear with me while I type an answer for you.
Customer:

I found the Q&A area if you'd like me to switch to that I can.

Dr. Tom : I believe you are correct about the capsule and agree with your docs approach. Over last 30 years of doing the same procedure I've seen many similar cases as yours. Most likely it will continue to. Improve. Doesthat make sense ?
Customer:

Yes it makes sense. How long does it typically take the capsule to "shrink" completely. What percentage of cases that you have seen does the streak resolve on its own and if it doesn't after say 6 months is there anything that can be done?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes it probably is the capsule. After 30 years of doing cataract surgery, your symptoms don't surprise me as they come up fairly often, and I expect that you will improve as the capsule tightens. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you got my reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I found your answers. Let me just look them over.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Great....let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my reply to your last questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

I just sent another reply....did that get to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I don't know why I am not receiving them.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Test # XXXXX?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the Test # XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
How did the last message do?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I will ask JA to work on this and get back to you. Please be patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks for sticking it out.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how long it will take. But you will get the answers you need. It may be tomorrow. I am really sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is okay. I will leave it here for now.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

This is to see if JA corrected the problem.

Answers to your last questions: The capsule tightens over 3-4 months. Virtually all shrink correctly. About 20 %will develop some minor scaring. and yes, if at 6 months there is still a capsule problem, it can be easily corrected with a laser.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
It looks as that reply got to you. Thanks for letting me help...Again I apologize for the delay, you were very gracious. Best wishes.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - you have been very helpful. I am going to rate you excellent for this question.

I will probably be submitting another question to you later today. I was thinking about this last night and some more information came to mind about my symptoms that makes me wonder if this could in any way be caused by my cornea versus the capsule.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is from our first conversation. I not sure if this is what you meant by sending you a message.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Karen. I am glad to help. If you wish to chat again in several months don't hesitate to get in touch.