Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I had surgery on dec 17, my vision was 20 40 prior now it is

I had surgery on dec 17, my vision was 20 40 prior now it is 20 80 is it possible to change that lens? How risky is it. I also see a " dark line" on the outside of that eye, it seems like hair strands hanging down in that area, not a good description, but don't know how else to say it. can you give me any info? thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Hello Dr Tom, my vision has gone from 20 40 to 20 80 and I see a dark line on the left side of that eye. also i see something at the top especially when looking down.

Dr. Tom : Hello.....I am sorry you are having this problem. may I ask a couple of questions?
Customer:

Yes

Dr. Tom : Please tell me a little bit about your surgery and if there were any complications?
Customer:

there were no complications durning surgery as far as i know. afterwards i did have some eyebrow pain for about a week and some heavy tearing for a while. the eyebrow pain was explained as possible sinus as i have had it before but not as i did durning that first week after surgery. i did go in and have my pressure checked and it was 17 in that eye at that time.

Dr. Tom : The answer to your first question is yes you can have the lens exchanged.
Dr. Tom : Since your surgery was only several weeks ago the risks of a lens exchange are very low.
Customer:

when will it be considered too late for that to happen or is time a factor. does the implant tend to stick to surrounding surfaces, will i have complications?

Dr. Tom : The answer to the "when is too late" depends on a number things, but yes, the implant is designed to become secure in the lens capsule..........but cataract surgeons are very familiar with the management of this situation.
Customer:

do you know why i'm seeing things that i did not see before surgery. the line and the, whatever, at the top of my eye.

Dr. Tom : Well, that's why I initially asked about what you understood about your surgery. But, seeing lines or shadows can be normal even after normal cataract surgery. It is usually temporary and improves as the lens implant settles in the capsule bag.
Customer:

thank you for your time. bye

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems