Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My 3 year old grandson has re-occuring styes that develope

My 3 year old grandson has re-occuring styes that develope in his eyes at a rate of 1 or 2 a week, this has been going on for about 2 months. what causes them and how can they be prevented or treated. Warm compresses do not seem to help much as a 3 yearold will hardly hold still long enough for them to work.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer:

I am here now, hope you can help

Dr. Tom :

Good evening, it will be my pleasure to help you. It's not unusual for a youngster to develop an occasional stye, but the frequency you described is unusual. A stye results from the blockage of one of the small glands at the base of the eyelashes. It usually is not infected, and it is for this reason that ophthalmologists push the idea of moist hot compresses so the body's defenses can take care of the problem. Like you, I am the grandparent of several youngsters who have had a few sties from time to time and I understand the difficulty of dealing with the management of most things with a three-year-old, but as and ophthalmologist, like you I'm a little concerned about your three-year-old. If these inflammations start developing in the larger oil glands of the eyelid a condition known as a chalazion may develop, and in some cases this will require surgical drainage. In your grandson's case, it's possible that there is some allergic cause which no one has yet identified. The most prudent thing for you to do is ask your pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist. Please let me know if this seems reasonable to you, and let's keep going until you are comfortable.

Customer:

Yes I think that would reasonable to do as his Dr. did not seem to be at all concerned about them and did not mention anything about being alarmed about the number and frequency of them. We will ask for the referral.

Dr. Tom :

Yes, there is certainly no harm in doing so, and there is no reason to take any chances. Is anything else that you would like to ask. If not it was a pleasure to have been able to assist you tonight.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX pursue your recommendaiton.