Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

My son got me with his fingernail in my eye about a month ago

My son got me with his fingernail in my eye about a month ago and I still have blurriness. It was very slight and I never had any pain, irritation, or redness what-so-ever. I just figured that the blur would fade in a day or two, but after a month i'm starting to wonder. Is this somthing I should be worried about? It's not extreme blurriness but enough that I notice it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Let me know when you're available to chat

Customer:

Hi, I'm available now.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Just to get started could I ask did you have the same degree blurriness you have today immediately after you were scratched with the fingernail?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Well, without being able to do one of the microscopic examinations we ophthalmologists do in our offices it's impossible to say if you have a tiny corneal scar from what sounds like a minor corneal abrasion. The reason I use the word minor is that significant abrasions typically are associated with pretty severe pain and irritation with blinking for a day or two. However the good news is that our corneas normally heal very quickly and without any secondary blurring. Yours doesn't fit that pattern exactly. So I don't think there's any way to give you an absolute answer in a chat format. On the other hand it doesn't sound like anything particularly urgent. But the most prudent thing for you to do is set yourself up for an ophthalmological evaluation to establish a baseline. Please let me know if that makes sense or if you have any other questions.

Customer:

Do you think there is any danger in waiting it out another couple of weeks as long as there are no other side effects...in other words, would you think there to be any possiblity of this suddenly progressing into a serious matter? I don't have vision insurence right now, which is why i ask.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

You should be all right for another couple weeks. I doubt that you have anything serious from what you have posted, so there is not a reason to think you're going to have any sudden progression since it has been essentially stable since your son poked your eye. I'm glad I was able to be of help to you today. Best wishes.

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Have a great day.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems