Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

Hi. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Duanes Syndrome

Hi. My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Duane's Syndrome over 1 year ago. He currently is wearing a low reading glass (1) as his only treatment. He is left handed and is having trouble writing as he also has fine motor skill issues. Can the fine motor skills be related to his eyes? Also, he sees double when he looks to the right, he sees clearest when looking to the left. Is there another option for us to use such as an eye patch, surgery, etc? Thanks.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please let me know when you're online and we will get started with your question.

Customer:

I am online now.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just trying to decide how to answer all of your questions and one posting. Give me a second to respond to each of those questions and then we can chat further.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

" Can the fine motor skills be related to his eyes"....yes Dysgraphia Writing or fine motor skills deficit can be associated................." Is there another option for us to use such as an eye patch, surgery,"............ to that, the answer is yes, maybe. There's certainly no reason not to use an eye patch from time to time to prevent his double vision. But you would surely not want to use it on a full-time basis because of the remote possibility of developing amblyopia. Granted, by the age of seven his visual pathways are pretty much developed but I still wouldn't take the chance on full-time patching until he were much older. With regard to the question of surgical intervention, that really has to be a decision worked out between you and your child's pediatric ophthalmologist.......... so now that we've gotten those answered let's see if there's anything else you would like to discuss.?

Customer:

Do you have any advice on how we can improve his fine motor skills given the condition he has? Thanks

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Is your son under the care of a pediatric ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Great,........... pediatric ophthalmologist often have good working relationships with developmental psychologist and others who are associated with learning skills. You can imagine how frequently conditions like attention deficit, and dyslexia and other disorders bring patients and their families into the ophthalmology world looking for help in managing complex situations. So first I would recommend a chat with your ophthalmologist regarding community professional help. The other thing that I would like to bring to your attention is a website that I'm going to give you in just a second. In my practice, I often encourage my patients to use some of the sources that are available through Internet searches, and I think this one can give you some pretty good answers to your question about developing your son's fine motor skills......... please let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help you today, and if you don't have any other questions, may I thank you for allowing me to be of service. Here is the web link http://www.squidoo.com/helping-children-develop-strong-fine-motor-skills

Customer:

Thank you for the advice! Over and out.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

My pleasure