Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have swelling that started on my left eyelid and now it has

I have swelling that started on my left eyelid and now it has gotten really swollen under my left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

As we get started with your answer, may I ask you a couple of additional questions to help me better understand your particular situation. Have you had any eye surgery. Do you have frequent sinus infections. Do you have any elevated temperature or fever. Has there been any significant affect on your site since the swelling began?

Customer:

No, I have never had eye surgery, except when I was four years old for cross eyes. No, I do not have sinus infections,nor do I have a fever.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay good. Give me a second to type out an answer for you and some suggestions. Would it be possible for you to send a digital photograph .

Customer:

I will have to download phot, then I can send. Where do I send it to?

Customer:

I have the photo ready, just need an email address to send it to.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Two of the most common things that cause acute swelling of the eyelid are lid margin styes, or inflammations of slightly larger oil glands in the eyelid resulting in a condition referred to as a chalazion. I am attaching a link to a website where you can get further information. However generally speaking when our physical examination reveals the presence of a chalazion, we recommend frequent applications of hot moist heat. Luckily most of these are not infections, but rather inflammations, and don't generally need antibiotics. Most will resolve spontaneously with the heat applications. Occasionally, they don't resolve as speedily as we like, and if that is a situation we can do a minor surgical procedure in the office. I started typing before I got your message regarding the photographs so I'll go ahead and send this now and then explain to you about attaching the photograph. In the meantime let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer:

So, I should put warm compresses onmy eye so it will improve.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Yes. I know it seems like a simple solution to what appears to be a bigger problem. But we see this all the time, and generally the swelling resolves with the use of frequent hot moist compresses. On the other hand, I don't want to minimize the importance of being prudent. If you develop more swelling, more pain, pain on the movement of your eye, elevated temperature or any thing else that is not trending back to normal, you should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. As you know, inflammations have the potential of becoming infections, and infections that extend behind the lid can be potentially serious................. I will be delighted to look at your photograph if you would like more information. To attach the photograph, you must first click on a small paperclip on your screen. Do you see that?

Customer:

Yes, I see the clip. I will send photo.

Full Size Image

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help clarify things. The puffiness below your eyelid is a common secondary effect. It is due to edema, are fluid collection. Because of the laxness of the skin it tends to look a lot worse than it really is. The hot compresses are going to be very useful with regard to the upper lid chalazion, and I expect it would take a week or so to resolve all of the swelling. Again I want to emphasize that if things do not trend toward getting better you should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. Does this answer your question? And is anything else I can discuss with you today regarding this.

Customer:

Yes, that seems to answer my question and I will apply moist compresses immediately. Thank you very much, and I have no further questions.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Very good, thank you for letting me help you today.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Please don't forget to click one of those happy faces saying that you are satisfied with your answer.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems