Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My husband put a chlorine tab into our hot tub tonight and

My husband put a chlorine tab into our hot tub tonight and it splashed him in the eye. He came inside flushed it out a bit in water, but his eye is bright red and he said it is still burning. This happened about 30 mins ago. Will he just be uncomfortable for a few hours or is this something more serious? It's a chlorine tab to clean the water.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. How much of a splash was this? A few drops or more of a deluge, that hit the eye?

Doctor DanB :

Depending on whether this was a drop or two that hit his eye versus a significant volume of the chlorine water that splashed his eye, his outcomes can be quite different. If it's just a drop or two, I would expect that he will feel quite uncomfortable with the eye burning, stinging, and perhaps feeling somewhat like there is some sand in it, but in the end he shouldn't be too bad from this. If it was a significant volume of the chlorine water that splashed in the eye, it may cause an altogether worse reaction such as a large-sized corneal abrasion (scratch) which can be quite painful and may take several days to heal. Either way...

Doctor DanB :

Either way, he should have the eye rinsed out for 10-15 minutes at a time, two-three times with water and after that he should use artificial tears 4-5x/day in that eye, cool compresses liberally, and/or tylenol or advil as needed for pain. However, if he is in significant pain and/or the vision is significantly altered he should see his ophthalmologist. Does that make sense?

Customer: Does the burning last a few days?
Customer: How long does the burning last for?
Doctor DanB :

The burning can last for several days, but usually the worst is the first 24-48 hrs.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with? Any clarifications?

Doctor DanB :

If not, your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.