Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My partner hos lost his eye sight or vision in both eyes and

Customer Question

My partner hos lost his eye sight or vision in both eyes and is 45 year not he can't drive and doctors don't whta cause this are able to help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me a little bit more about the history of his loss of vision? Did it come on suddenly in both eyes at once? Is he totally, lights-out blind, or does he have some visual function left? If he has vision left, is it his central vision that is mostly affected?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for? What have the doctors had to say about it? Has he seen a retina specialist or any other eye specialists?

Dr. Rick :

Does he have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Please do your best to answer each question in detail and offer any other data that you think would be helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Rick

It it come at once but started in July last year 2012 when he after having flu

He started with losing eye sight only the left eye., then in november the other eye starting losing sight. He still have vision left and most of the time he said its cloudy of fog. Yes he have to the eye specialist at first they did MRI could see any problem They think it was Glucoma but no now the are going to do genetic which the doctor ?mitochondrial

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sergey,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was spending some vacation time with my family :-)

From what you have posted it sounds like your partners doctors are concerned he might be suffering from a genetic condition called Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy (LHON).

While your partner is a little bit old for LHON to affect him, it usually strikes men in their 20's and 30's I have a patient in my practice who did not loose vision until he was 52...so it can strike at any age.

Currently, other the visual aids such as magnifiers and low vision glasses, there is no treatment for this disease. The good news is, however, after the acute vision loss the majority of patients do not continue to loose more vision.

Here is a very informative, non-technical, web page that discusses this condition:

https://sites.google.com/site/planetleeder/lhon

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick