eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children

Years ago I took my 6 year old daughter to the eye doctor and

Years ago I took my 6 year old daughter to the eye doctor and the doctor said she probably has friends or classmates who wear glasses and thus she has a desire to wear glasses but her vision was in fact good. The optometrist used a term to describe this condition. Now I have a elderly parent who I now notice has for years worn a pair of weak reader glasses and wears them constantly, seemingly just because ... What is that term to describe people who want to wear glasses but do not actually need to wear them?

I will do my best to answer your question.

The term used is "malingering". This is a common occurance among school age children.

Has this answered your question?

If not just reply below with other questions you may have.

If this has answered your question,please rate this session before you leave the website. THANK YOU!!