Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I am trying purchase eyeglasses online. OD CYL says DS. What

I am trying purchase eyeglasses online. OD CYL says DS. What does this mean? Can I leave it blank? There is no DS in the drop down menu.

Dr. A.S. Desai : Hello,Welcome to
Dr. A.S. Desai : Do you have your glasses prescription with you?
Dr. A.S. Desai : What kind of glasses are you purchasing online- bifocals/only reading?
Dr. A.S. Desai : Are you there?
Dr. A.S. Desai : If your prescription does not have any distance correction in either of the eyes ( your vision would be 20/20 for distance)then you can just leave it blank. If you need correction for near vision , then based on your age ( and considering that your distance vision is 20/20 in both eyes), the near correction needed would be + 1.50 DS in both eyes. You could either go for bifocals or progressives ( avoid online purchase of progressives as it is better to get the exact markings on the frame itself ).
Dr. A.S. Desai : Is there anything else that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My prescription is: OD -1.00, CYL DS, AXIS none/ OS-1.00, CYL -0.50, AXIS 080
Hello Gina,

First of all, I would like to wish you a very happy new year 2013!

According to your prescription, your right eye (OD) has only spherical= -1.00 ( leave the cylinder as blank) , your left eye (OS) has spherical -1.00 and cylinder of -0.50 at axis 80 degrees.

If you still have any doubts, do reply back and I would be glad to help.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Happy New Year to you too! Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome!