Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have an ulcer in the middle of the inside of my lower eyelid,

Customer Question

I have an ulcer in the middle of the inside of my lower eyelid, very sore. The skin underneath that eye is swollen and puffy. Is it a doctor's trip for me? (I have Type II diabetes)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to upload a picture? You can use the paperclip on your screen.

Customer:

Unfortunately, I'm not very computer literate and have no one at home at the moment that could do this

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Is this ulcer located on the inside (eyeball side) or the outside of your eyelid?

Dr. Rick :

Does the surrounding tissue seem to be really swollen and involved?

Dr. Rick :

Also, has your lid been tender the last few days in that area?

Dr. Rick :

Is it like a bump that is now draining?

Customer:

It is located on the inside of the eyelid. The surrounding tissue does not appear to be swollen, although a little red. No, it hasn't been tender at all, just woke up with it this morning. It doesn't really appear to be a bump that is draining - just looks exactly like an ulcer. It also seems to be getting sorer as the day goes on, and the skin underneath has swollen more since this morning

Dr. Rick :

Ok. From what you have posted it does not sound like a stye.....

Customer:

No, I have had styes before - they tend to come up on the rim of the eyelid. This is inside and lower down from the rim

Dr. Rick :

Given your history of Diabetes and the way it has suddenly come on, and since I can't take a look at it, I'm afraid you are correct: Time to go see the doctor.

Customer:

Ok - thanks for that

Dr. Rick :

It is 7:20 PM on Thursday here in Wisconsin....what time is it on your end of the planet?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is 2.20 pm Friday here in New Zealand

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hey! That means I'm talking to someone from the future :-)

I hope you have time to get in to see your MD before the weekend comes.

Have a Healthy and Happy New Year.