Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

111 days ago, there were 3 reported cases of West Nile in my

111 days ago, there were 3 reported cases of West Nile in my area. 3 days ago, I got a small, pink, and itchy bump/welt between my left hand and wrist. Today, I have a minor sore throat, minor cough, and after taking 2 Extra-Strength Tylenol tablets, my temperature went from 98.8 to 99.1. Should I be alarmed? What should I do now? Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

do you take any medication or have any other medical problems?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Do you have any other symptoms?
Dr. Rick : do you take any medication or have any other medical problems?
Dr. Rick : Do you have a headache?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have any other symptoms. I have hypertension, hypothyroidism, anxiety, and vertigo. I take Diovan HCT, Synthroid, Buspar, and as needed, Meclizine and Xanax. My head was hurting a little bit a little while ago, but not now.

Well, given the large number of cases in your area west nile virus should be considered in the differential diagnosis of any flu like syndrome.

At this point you could have an quick and easy ELISA test to see if you have antibodies to WNV.

Oops. My grandson is crying and my daughter is trying to get in a nap....I will be right back. Thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There were only 3 cases. But for 111 days, it's been quiet. Only 3 cases. 2 dead mosquitos tested positive for West Nile and there was one reported case of where a young lady contracted it. Only 3 cases. But there have been no other reports for 111 days. I neglected to tell you also that I take Nasonex as needed because I have allergies and sinus congestion. Thank you.

My entire post was eaten by the computer! Good thing I know that the system is hungry and saved a copy. Here it is again....

Woke up my! She said mean things to me lol!

Let's continue....

Of course, it is more likely that you have caught the flu that is going around rather then WNV. Is that bump on your wrist a mosquito bite? Possibly. But even if it was, not every mosquito bite transmits WNV disease.

So. What is the take home message? At this point I do not think you need to panic. I would continue with tylenol as needed, drink a lot of fluids and see how things go. If you are concerned it would not be unreasonable to see an MD an ask if she feels you should be tested for WNV but, from what you have posted here tonight, I do not think that is necessary.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
My pleasure and thank you for that extra information.

That makes me much more confident in saying that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the possibility of your current symptoms being a sign of WNV infection.

I'd bet you have one of the other, runofthemill, bugs going around nowadays.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.