Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

My Left eye has been twitching for the last few months and

My Left eye has been twitching for the last few months and now both eyes are twitching – perhaps 10% of the day. Should I get this checked out?

Dr. Tom-Eye : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

I am here.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Hi...... I am sorry you are having the trouble you posted ....... It soundslikeyou have allergic conjunctivitis.

Would you explain allergic conjunctivitis. Why would I have this? What is the cause?

My eyes are twitching they are not red,

Dr. Tom-Eye : Before you go to a doctor, try an OTC allergy eye drop, like Zaditor 4 times away. That should take careofyour eye itching.

Symptoms may be seasonal and can include:

• Intense itching or burning eyes

• Puffy eyelids, especially in the morning

• Red eyes

• Stringy eye discharge

• Tearing (watery eyes)

• Widened (dilated) vessels in the clear tissue covering the white of the eye

My eyes are twitching, not itching.

Please address the twitching issue.

Dr. Tom-Eye : looks like you have taken a lookat the likely causes and symptoms. Is there anything that I may answer for you???

I am asking what may be causing my eyes to twitch.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Ok.....give me a minute and I will explain myokemia.
Dr. Tom-Eye : Myokymia is a fancy name for eyelid twitching.. You can do a Google search and it will find many sites to try to explain
Dr. Tom-Eye : myokemia

Since this had been happening for some months, should I make an appointment with my doctor. If so, should I go to a specialist?

Dr. Tom-Eye : Myokymia is the medical definition of twitching Eyelids. It is very unlikely that any specific underlying diagnosis will be found. We typical ly do a complete eye exam...... And if all else is normal, we reassure the patient. The twitching typically just goes away.
Dr. Tom-Eye : Please let me know if you have further questions??

Should I make an appointment with my eye doctor?

Dr. Tom-Eye : Based on what we have discussed so far, I think you could take a little bit of a wait-and-see before going to have an eye examination.
Dr. Tom-Eye : When I first became an ophthalmologist, my older partner would always recommend to patients with myokymia that they drink Gatorade. I'm not sure this was accurate, but it certainly didn't harm Because myokymia goes away all by itself. Please let me know if I can answer anything else.
Dr. Tom-Eye : It appears that you are now off-line. But please feel free to ask me any additional questions.
Dr. Tom-Eye : Hi.......I'm just checking black in to be sure that you are covered!

Thank you.

You are very welcome. Thank you for letting me help.