Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I went to urgent care Friday night because I had the start

I went to urgent care Friday night because I had the start of pink eye, and a very sore spot on my soft palate. They said it was a good sized canker sore. I've had my tonsils removed, but they did a strep test anyways, and it came back negative. They said I had some throat virus similar to strep and gave me eye medication for my pink eye, and lidocane to get rid of the pain in my throat/mouth. I am coughing a lot more now, though. I'm way stuffed up too, but I've never coughed when I have had a cold. Only when I have had bronchitis. My chest is tight and I've felt short of breath a couple times. I have had a low grade fever, and bouts of being cold then hot, then cold then hot. I don't know if I should be going back to the dr or not. My eyes have cleared up, but I still feel lousy, with symptoms as previously stated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Perfect.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry this is happening to you on xmas day :(

Customer:

I know! Such a lousy time to be so sick!

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it sounds like what you started with was a viral infection. This would have affected your eye and lungs etc.

Customer:

That's what they told me, but now it feels like it's in my chest.

Dr. Rick :

But, now that you are coughing a lot more and have chest pain, fever, chills etc I would be concerned that you have a secondary bacterial infection.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, the only doctors available today to get you started on antibiotics are in the ER :(

Customer:

There's an urgent care that is still open, I think.

Customer:

So should I be going to see a dr then?

Dr. Rick :

That would be an excellent option...much quicker then an ER visit and cheaper too...

Dr. Rick :

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. Not the best way to spend the day before christmas, eh? :-(

Customer:

We have TriCare, so either option works, really.

Dr. Rick :

Oh....that's good.

Dr. Rick :

just the longer wait in the ER then, not so much a money issue.

Customer:

I am going on vacation the 29th. This is not a very good way to start my holidays/vacation.

Dr. Rick :

Better to get started on antibiotics now...that way you will be feeling better faster and hopefully able to party like a Rock Star by the 29th lol!

Customer:

Yeah...Happy Freakin' New Years ha!

Dr. Rick :

Exactly :)

Customer:

Well, thank you for your help. I guess I will drag myself to a dr.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better fast. Enjoy your vacation :)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick