Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can I sing (soprano part) while recovering from laser repair

Can I sing (soprano part) while recovering from laser repair of a retinal tear?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long ago did you have the laser repair?

Dr. Rick :

Do you know where the tear was located? Superior, inferior, far periphery etc?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : How long ago did you have the laser repair?
Dr. Rick : Do you know where the tear was located? Superior, inferior, far periphery etc?
Dr. Rick : I am a retina surgeon and look forward to your reply.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Rick: I had laser surgery repair last Monday evening at around 7:30 pm, for a horseshoe-shaped tear, 3:00 o'clock position, left eye. I started having symptoms last Monday am, at around 8:30 am; no problems and then suddenly the appearance of what looked like black threads in my vision out of my left eye. It looked almost like a tear in my contact lens, although I felt no pain and there was nothing on the lens when I took it out. I was told no working out, running, etc., just normal activity. They didn't seem concerned about singing; although I do singing "through the mask", and so am concerned that might exert pressure in the eye area.

T

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that extra information.

So, Let me make sure I understand you correctly. Your laser surgery was done on Monday, December 17th. Is this correct?

How are things going right now? Are you seeing a lot of flashes of light?

Have the floaters (threads) stayed the same, increased, or decreased in the last week?

Just for my own curiosity, what is "singing through the mask?"

I look forward to your reply....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is correct - my laser surgery was done last Monday, December 17th.

I am not seing flashes of light, but have not during the whole episode, including the symptoms of the original tear.

The floaters have definitely decreased, the visiion is much better, but still a difference versus the right eye. I am told it will take a few weeks to get back to something close to normal.

"Singing in the mask" refers to using the structure of the face, including the sinus cavity, to produce the high notes. I am concerned that might include pressure on the eye cavity (I think it is called interorbital pressure?) forgive the layman's ignorance.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank for giving me some insight into what a singer has to do in order to sound so wonderful :-)

You are almost a week out from your laser treatment and, as such, the laser "welds" are getting fairly strong right now.

In my opinion, after having practiced retina for almost two decades now, you are safe to sing soprano, even for an extended time period, at this point.

There should be no worries about changes in intraorbital, intraocular pressure or vibrations affecting your laser treatment at this point.

Of course, should you start to see an increase in your floaters, new flashes of light or a curtain coming across your visual field from any direction, get in to see your ophthalmologist right away.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Break a leg :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

:) This information is extremely helpful. Thank you for your time and your thoughtful attention. And, for the "break a leg" - hopefully the sound will be wonderful!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure that it will be :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD