Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have scars on both my retina caused by inflamation which prevents me from seeing properl

I have scars on both my retina caused by inflamation which prevents me from seeing properly. The right eye I cannot see at all. Is there any thing that can be done to correct.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

I am a retina specialist. Can you tell me a bit more about these retina scars?

What caused them?

Was the inflammation from an underlying systemic disease?

Have you had multiple episodes of ocular inflammation during your lifetime?

Where on your retina are they located (macula, periphery etc)?

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was a child in Africa and went to Drs. there but they did not know what caused it. Went to Eye Dr and Lens Crafters and they have not seen anything like it.

A retinal issue like you are talking about is beyond the training and ability of a lens crafters optometrist to diagnose.

You really need to consult with an ophthalmologist or, perhaps, a retina specialist such as myself to figure out what is going on and what, if anything, can be done at this point.

As a general rule, however, I can tell you that improving vision that has been lost for over 50 years due to a retinal scar is most likely not going to be possible. :-(

That being said, I would encourage you to see and Eye MD for a complete exam and, at the very least, a possible diagnosis/prognosis.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Besides using the yellow pages is there any website that can be used to find a good retina specialist in Old Bridge, NJ

Yes. Google works. :)

Dr. Kahn is a retina surgeon in your area:

http://www.newjerseyvision.com/macular-degeneration-new-jersey.html

I wish you the best of luck.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.