Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

what are the different types of bright lights and their names

what are the different types of bright lights and their names , that are used during an eye exam. I now have 20/40 vision after a visit to a new eye doctor 3 months ago. he used a hand held light that I have never seen before. bright light" eye exam, damage"? Is their any type of light that an unscrupulous eye doctor could use that WOULD cause harm to one's eye sight. After all, we are told not to look directly into the sun. thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

that is a very good question. In my examination of a patient I use number of bright lights.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

Did the light this doctor used work as a handheld light as the doctor was sitting near, but not real close, to you? or was it more of a light that he looked into while almost touching your face and looking into you eye?

Dr. Rick :

Got it.....

Customer:

Please just name all the lights that one might use during a comprehensive exam. It was hand held.

Dr. Rick :

One light is called a fenhoff.

Dr. Rick :

It is like a fiberoptic flashlight

Customer:

Kindly name them all, as this is what I paid $38 for, also : Is their any type of light that an unscrupulous eye doctor could use that WOULD cause harm to one's eye sight. After all, we are told not to look directly into the sun. thank you

Dr. Rick :

Another hand held light is called a direct ophthalmoscope

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophthalmoscopy

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

OK. Here is the list.

Dr. Rick :

indirect ophthalmoscope, slit lamp and the two I have already mentioned. That is about it.

Dr. Rick :

No. None of the lights in an ophthalmologists office would cause permanent damage to your eyes, even if used for an extended examination.

Dr. Rick :

The sun is a completely different beast.....

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

In my practice I have used a very bright light for over an hour on a patients eye during laser therapy without any damage to the eye.

Customer:

thank you. I understand on the sun. Any other hand held that a thorough exam might possibly include? You wrote "that's just about it", which is a vague answer.

Dr. Rick :

That is all of them that I use in my practice. One other light, called a streak retinoscope, is not very bright not used very often in a normal adult exam. That covers every instrument with a light in my exam rooms :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this cover it for you?

Customer:

Let me check on the doc's title to see if it matches yours, please wait a few moments. thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Standing by......

Customer:

he's simply listed as an O.D. Is that what you are and is your answer accurate to the devices in an O.D.'s office?

Dr. Rick :

OD is an optometrist. They would have the same equipment that I have but, as a MD eye surgeon, I would say I've got years more training on how to use it.

Dr. Rick :

So. Yes. The list is accurate to what I would expect you were possibly exposed to.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can do for you today>?

Customer:

My doc has 16 years using it, so I guess my eyes are safe with him.

Dr. Rick :

When I once asked a Professor the difference between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist this is what she told me:

An Optometrist is to an Ophthalmologist as an Eagle Scout is to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps. They both are experts in their area however one of them has a lot more training, ability and experience.

Customer:

: ) thank you. you've answered my questions.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May I quote you on your comment to my doc.? I won't be paying $38 on this site again, for I feel you have a chip on your shoulder. Very respectfully, "The Customer", Jan

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Jan,

Actually, I don't have a chip on my shoulder...it was just a way to point out the training difference. My brother-in-law is an optometrist and worked in my office for a number of years before going out on my own.

Also, as a retina surgeon, optometrists an I do not compete on any level, which may not be the case with general ophthalmologists.

That being said, I would be happy for you to quote me to your eye doc :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.