Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have a circle in the middle of my field of vision in my left

Customer Question

I have a circle in the middle of my field of vision in my left eye only. Yesterday it was a bright spot and today and has reduced in size, but it's darker and there is a little flasher on the outer periphery on the upper left side of the circle.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon and congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family :-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this circle move around in your field of view?

Customer:

it's in the same spot no matter where I look

Customer:

I guess it's in the same spot in my field of view

Customer:

but it moves as I look around the room

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I would like you to try something for me. Wearing your normal glasses (if you have any) close your right eye. Now. Using only the left eye open a magazine or book and try to read. Does this spot get in the way? If so, how does it interfere?

Dr. Rick :

Also look across the room. Does the spot stay right in the center of what you are looking at, like a rifle scope, or kinda move off to the side and around?

Customer:

The spot is in the way when I try to read I can see around the egdes but can't read through it. I feel like it stays in my direct view. It never moves out of my sight line. Never in my peripheral

Dr. Rick :

You mentioned flashes of light in the periphery. Since you first noticed things yesterday, does it seem like there is a curtain or shade moving across your field of vision?

Customer:

No - it's a circle and in one section of its rim there is a slight indent with a tiny flasher

Dr. Rick :

Ok. And this circle is in the center of your vision; the periphery is clear? Two more questions :) 1. Other than being pregnant, do you have any medical problems or take any medication? 2. Is your right eye affected at all as far as you can tell?

Customer:

Yes, my periphery is clear. I dont have any medical problems and the only meds I've been taking are my prenatal vitamins. My right eye seems unaffected.

Customer:

I woke up like this yesterday morning... :-(

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I can tell you where the problem is located in your eye, and what you need to do.....

Dr. Rick :

Your problem is most likely with your retina, a very important part called the macula.

Customer:

ok - it's like I've been poked in the eye...

Dr. Rick :

Why this is happening to you at this moment, I really can't say. But, as to what you should do I can offer advice.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

You need to be examined by an ophthalmologist. Today would be best. As a matter of fact I would call around and demand to be seen right away. Going to the ER will not be of any value, unless there is an ophthalmologist on call who can come in and examine you. This issue is really beyond the ability and training of anyone other than an eye surgeon to deal with.

Customer:

ok - risk to losing my vision permanently?

Customer:

is there a risk I could, I mean?

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. As a retina specialist I deal with issues like yours every day and I can tell you that the majority of causes that would suddenly affect your eye in the way you have experienced can be taken care of. As to what the final visual outcome will be....that depends on what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

At this point I feel that your have a very good chance of a good visual outcome.

Customer:

ok - I will get in to see someone right away.

Dr. Rick :

But the sooner you get seen and therapy started, the better.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

this is just bizarre

Customer:

yes, it makes sense

Dr. Rick :

I understand. But, I'm glad you reached out for advice rather then waiting.

Customer:

thank you!

Dr. Rick :

Also, dont' worry...the eye drops used in the doctors office are safe for the baby.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got an appointment for 2:30 today! Thanks again!Sealed

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
That was quick! Excellent work.

Let me know what the doctor finds if you have a chance.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick - The doctor said I have central serous retinopathy (choroidopathy). It looks like I may be half blind until I deliver this baby (not due until early May) unless I miraculously improve. I dont think I want to do laser surgery prior to delivery since the chances of it getting better after delivery are pretty good. But if it gets worse between now and May, I think I'll go ahead and try the surgery. I'm bummed, but I'm glad I know what's wrong and that the chances of my vision being altered permanently are low. Thanks again for your advice!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lorilie,

The good news? In the vast majority of patients with CSR there is spontaneous resolution of the swelling within 3 months or so. Vision improvement, however, may lag behind the anatomical improvement by 6 to 12 months. But, in the end, you should not loose any significant vision.

In my practice I do not even consider laser treatment for at least 4 months in primary cases of CSR in the majority of cases.

Just one question. Did your ophthalmologist do a fluorescein angiogram (put dye in your vein and take lots of pictures)? For this condition I do this test in most patients and then usually follow them with clinical exams and, possibly, OCT imaging.

Hope your pregnancy is going well. My youngest daughter (26 years old) is due with our second grandchild at the end of January :-)

Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No dye in the vein. I guess it isn't recommended in pregnant women. He did OCT imaging. He took a couple different sets of pictures. It was very interesting to see the fluid in my eye from a couple different viewpoints. The spot has lightened some over the last couple of days. So I am hopeful surgery won't be necessary. I wish your daughter the best. Congratulations!!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. We are very much enjoying our new Grandson :)

That makes sense. If the CSR shows up well on clinical exam and OCT there, really, is no need to take even the very small risk of angiography to confirm the clinical diagnosis.

I'm sure,in the long run, you will be OK.

If you have any further questions or concerns just drop me a note and I'll be happy to help.