Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

What happens if spoiled food (i.e., food that would or has

What happens if spoiled food (i.e., food that would or has gone bad after 4 hours - in this instance, food containing dairy and meat products) - accidentally gets into your eyes? Are your eyes able to fight against such germs? What kind of eye infection would they cause?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

That is a very good question. It depends on what was growing on the spoiled food. After only 4 hours, I do not think there would be any fungus, only gram positive and,maybe, some gram negative bacteria.

The good news? The human eye is very well equipped to fight off any possible infection from spoiled food getting into it. The tears are naturally filled with antibodies and compounds that flush away foreign agents, including those that might cause infection.

Also, your eye is protected by physical barriers to infection that are very effective.

If you were to get an infection, you most would probably get bacterial conjunctivitis, which could be cured with simple eye drops such as tobrex.

That being said, I do not think that you need to worry about getting an eye infection from what you have posted.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick