Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Im not stressed but my right pupil is always dialated. What

Customer Question

Im not stressed but my right pupil is always dialated. What would that be caused by?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. How much more dilated than the left is it?
Doctor DanB : Does the upper eyelid droop? Any double vision?
Doctor DanB : Depending on whether there is any problems with the movements of the eyes, drooping of the eyelids or other symptoms, a mild difference in the size of the pupils is usually a benign (harmless) finding.  The cause of the difference in dilation can be a normal variant but it can also be a damaged nerve that is responsible for pupil function as well as moving the eye in certain directions or it could be a malfunctioning sympathetic nervous system nerve either in the head, neck or chest. Unfortunately because the signs of these are subtle only an ophthalmologist or neurologist can can say with any degree of certainty whether this is a normal variant (called physiologic anisocoria) or one of these uncommon problems I've just mentioned. If the size difference is no more than 2mm at any one time and is not accompanied by headache or eye pain, a droopy eyelid, changes in vision, double vision or other neurological symptoms then it is likely benign. If this is not the case then I would recommend seeing your eye doctor. 
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!