eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

Hi, I poked myself in the eye with a sharp corner edge of a

Hi, I poked myself in the eye with a sharp corner edge of a large ziplock baggie a few hours ago. i drove home 70 miles in the dark, and it was running and annoying, but now it is hurting quite a bit. Any suggestions for getting through the night ...a long way to an urgent care center. Hoping it will heal up with rest, but a little worried as a definate cut or injury to eye. Let me know what you think i can do for pain, discomfort and any other suggestions.

Thanks, Jayne

eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I see you are offline.

eyesight2020 :

Are you experiencing any changes in your vision in the involved eye or sensitivity to light,or has your eye gotten red since this has happened?

eyesight2020 :

If it is teary and annoying as you say it is possible you may have scratched the cornea.

eyesight2020 :

Do you have available at home any artificial tears?

eyesight2020 :

If you have artificial tears available I would use those every couple if hours till you can be seen by your eye doctor later this morning or today.

eyesight2020 :

I would use artificial tears every couple of hours till you can be seen by your eye doctor later this morning or afternoon.

eyesight2020 :

Cold compressess are better to do since this just happened.

eyesight2020 :

I do not see your resposes even though it says you are typing

Customer:

Hi, and thaks for answering. Yes there is redness of my eye, not a lot, but irratated and running for sure. Also sensitive to light to a degree, not horrible, but i am not enjoying the computer screen at the moment, and have all lights turned down low. I have some cvs pharmacy lubricant eye drops for mild dry eye. It usually stings a little , so not sure if it would hurt more with the drops. The ice pack seem to be helping some.

eyesight2020 :

Keep doing the drops till you can be seen by your eye doctor.

eyesight2020 :

Perhaps drops like refresh liquigel or systane gel drops may be more comforting

eyesight2020 :

Your eye doctor would evaluate you eye for a possible corneal abrasion and if neccessary

eyesight2020 :

prescribe an antibiotic eye drop with a bandage contact lens or have you use artificial tears supplemented with an antibiotic ointment

eyesight2020 :

Does this make sense

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions?

eyesight2020 :

If this has answered your questions please rate this session before you leave the chat.

eyesight2020 :

Thank you in advance.

eyesight2020 :

Of course if you have any other questions drop me a note

eyesight2020 :

I am still online any other questions

eyesight2020 :

I am switching over to our other format

Any other questions?O

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.