Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have an eye pressure of 22 in the left high and 29 in the

I have an eye pressure of 22 in the left high and 29 in the right. I have
treated high blood pressure. I have not been treated or diagnosed with
diabetes but had a "diabetic state" for 2 years, as a reaction to a prescribed
steroid. I am 59 years old, and am overweight. The only medication
I am on, other than blood pressure, is 81 mg aspirin. I am going to seek
an appointment for an evaluation. What are the likely causes, doctor?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : For how long were you on steroids and in what form?
Doctor DanB : At this point, your elevated eye pressures constitute "ocular hypertension.". Whether this ocular hypertension evolves into glaucoma (damage to the optic nerve from high eye pressures resulting in decreased peripheral vision) depends on the examination by an ophthalmologist and what risk factors are found. The reason I asked about the steroid use is because steroid exposure in any form can lead to raised intraocular pressures (IOP), which can lead to glaucoma. In a genetically susceptible individual (we do not know which specific genes cause this), even taking steroids for a few weeks can cause IOP to rise, and then in some, it may stay elevated even when the steroids are discontinued. This may describe you.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?

I had a "start up pack" for one week and became a fragile diabetic for 2 years. I lost 50 pounds and had constant

unstable blood sugar

Doctor DanB : It sounds like your body certainly was susceptible to the powerful side effects of steroids, so it stands to reason that they may have been implicated in your ocular hypertension. Do you have any other questions about this?

should I be on drops

I also developed Candida, which I battled for 10 years, as a result

Doctor DanB : That depends on what the examination by the ophthalmologist shows as well as the tests results that would be done as part of the evaluation.

Is there anything I can do in terms of lifestyle to affect a change

Doctor DanB : No, unfortunately. Just avoiding steroids; otherwise there are no lifestyle changes or medications to avoid that will change the course of this.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX schedule an appointment for an evaluation.

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!