Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it possible to push the eyeball further back into its socket

Is it possible to push the eyeball further back into its socket by using fillers in area surrounding the eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good question. Can you tell me a little bit more about the particular situation you are talking about?

Customer:

Good. Can you answer my question? Also, are there drops that can actually diminish a person's vision?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I can answer you questions for you.

Dr. Rick :

In what way are you interested in reducing a persons vision with drops?

Customer:

My eyes appear to be sinking back. My right eye seems to be losing vison

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

I awake from sleep to find my eyeballs red. I am wondering about drops placed in my eyes

Dr. Rick :

Yes. There are ways to move your eyeball forward if need. The best way to tell if your eyeball is sinking back is with a simple test at your ophthalmologists office called a hertel exophthalmometer.

Dr. Rick :

drops that would decrease your vision would actually make your eyes less red as a side effect, so they would be very white when you wake up

Customer:

I currently see an optometrist.He has been following the many changes . What drops make the eyeballs red

Customer:

I am very interested in teh hertel exopthalmometer test. What is the cost

Customer:

Wait you mention moving the eye "forward" vs i mentioned moving eye "backward"

Dr. Rick :

that is a good question. My office manager doesn't let me play with the money :) But, I would say that if that is all you wanted done, a MD might do it for $20. It only takes a few minutes.

Customer:

Thank u so much for your feedback. But what about the "sinking" back of the eyeball

Dr. Rick :

But, if you go in for a complete eye exam the MD would probably do it at no additional cost if you asked, and then maybe you could get your insurance to pay for the entire thing.

Customer:

Sounds good. but i am confused about the "forward" u mention

Dr. Rick :

The hertel would show exactly how much it was sinking. It would require surgery to fix if needed.

Customer:

oh dear. What in this world could cause such "sinking"

Dr. Rick :

The hertel measures both forward and backward movement....it is usually used in thyroid eye disease and those eyes move forward.....

Dr. Rick :

Lots of things, but before you worry you should see what the hertel shows.

Dr. Rick :

Here is what the instrument looks like:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.bernell.com/product/2747/255

Customer:

thanks i will do so. what's causing the red eyes at times when i awake ---

Dr. Rick :

That could be from allergies, dryness and blepharitis. Would you like some information on these issue and what you can try at home to help with this redness?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Here it is :)

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

Some of this handout may not apply to you, but try the artificial tear and baby shampoo scrubs and see if things get better.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

thank u I need to mention my optometrist has seen the sunk in look of my eyes. Also there have been several episodes on this year from about June forward of under eye skin turning black with red spot in corner. This happened one eye at a time.I had some orbit test done by ophlamologest but there have been several more episodes since I saw him. any advice

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for that extra information

Customer:

I am losing fat under my eyes. But some strange white substance has occurre under the eye skin after the "depletion"

Dr. Rick :

I think an MRI of the orbits would be a good idea along with the hertel measurements. Sometime no reason can be found for loss of orbital fat, but the amount of sinking needs to be documented and evaluated.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are are on the right track with seeing the ophthalmologist.

Customer:

thank u. very much

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought the orbit test was an mri?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
The MRI can scan any part of your body. In your case you only need pictures of your orbits.

The hertel exophthalmometer is an indirect test of the volume of "Stuff" in your orbit -- it's been around for over a hundred years :-)

Both tests give information about the status of your orbit.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest