Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi I had cataract surgery eight days ago and everything went

Hi I had cataract surgery eight days ago and everything went fine. I had a monofocal IOL inserted and my vision is excellent. I am concerned however because sometimes I see streaks around lights. It isn't a halo but more like a starburst - a type of glare I suppose. It seems to happen more if I look at a light for a few seconds. Is this normal? Will it get better? I'm pretty worried and hope it doesn't get worse. Thanks for any help/
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

My entire post was just "eaten" by the computer :(

Let me retype it....please be patient as this may take a few moments...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can wait. Thanks

This can be caused by a number of issues, such as normal postop inflammation, cloudy areas on the "bag" that holds your intraocular lens in place, decentration of the lens, pupil dilating beyond the edge of the lens and, maybe, even swelling of your macula.

The good news? Since you are only a week out from your surgery most of these possible causes should clear up, and many of the others are easily treated.

I would not worry at this point but do mention your symptoms to your surgeon when you next see her.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick