Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I suddenly this morning have a blood shot eye in my right eye

Customer Question

I suddenly this morning have a blood shot eye in my right eye the white part and have a slight headache
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was this pointed out to you by someone else?

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye bright, solid red in the white part of your eyeball?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Was this pointed out to you by someone else?
Dr. Rick : Is your eye bright, solid red in the white part of your eyeball?
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?

I look forward to your reply.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I guess you have stepped away from your computer. Let me go over what I think has happened to your eye:

You have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.
In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Also, please allow me to apologize for the technical difficulties we are currently having with the chat system this morning....