Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

A gentlemen with developmental disabilities for whom I am guardian

A gentlemen with developmental disabilities for whom I am guardian had cataract surgery about a month ago. On our second follow up appointment I was informed that we were to see a specialist after our appointment. Both physicians were of Asian descent and were difficult to understand. The specialist said something about a "ring" that had fallen into the vitreous had been left in the eye. He did an ultrasound and pointed it out to me. I asked what was to be done and he said don't worry then left the room and I was told to come back in two weeks. I am worried because my ward cannot speak or hear and is unable to tell me if his vision worsens or if he feels pain. Since he is deaf his vision is his only portal to the outside world. Advice and information would be appreciated. Thank you.

I neglected to mention that this procedure was done in a hospital under general anesthesia. It was supposed to be about an hour and took almost 7 hours. The doctor said she could not dissolve the cataract and had to surgically remove it. After the surgery his eye was filled with blood. One of the nurses came out during the surgery and said they were trying to find another doctor to assist. They wouldn't provide any information beyond this. I don't know if they ever got another doctor or not.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Awaiting your answer.

Doctor DanB : Without knowing all of the details of the surgery, there is no "ring" substance that is native to the eye which could've fallen into the vitreous. I suspect, given the degree of complications, that this was likely a pupil-expanding ring. For it to have ended up in the vitreous means there must have been some pretty egregious complications as it is quite difficult to get one of these rings into the posterior segment of the eye. But yes, in order to retrieve this now,ma retinal specialist would need to perform a vitrectomy and remove it from the vitreous.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any questions about this?

Neither doctor mentioned another surgery. I expect at the next visit they will spring it on me.

Doctor DanB : I would expect this as well. Do you have any other questions or concerns about this topic I can help you with?

No, thanks for your help.