Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

About a week ago I started getting pain in both my temples

About a week ago I started getting pain in both my temples and sometimes my ears get blocked. I also have pain behind my eyes and a headache mostly in the front of my head. I dont usually have it when I wake up but during the day it gets worse. I have taken advil and sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesnt.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you brush your hair or push on your temples, does it hurt?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

but after i push them it hurts

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed your jaw getting tired when you chew? Have you lost weight lately without trying? Have you had unexplained aches and pains?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

my jaw hurts sometimes. Havent lost weight - had some back problems and went to get adjusted and it seemed to start happening after I went

Customer:

jaw aches

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, from what you have posted it is important that you see a MD and have a condition called Giant Cell Arteritis ruled out. You may not have this condition, but if you do -- and it goes untreated -- bad things can happen.

Dr. Rick :

Testing for this condition consists of a good history, physical exam and a simple blood test.

Customer:

what is giant cell artheritis

Dr. Rick :

There may be other causes of your symptoms but I would feel better if this one could be ruled out for sure. Sometimes, a biopsy of an artery is needed...but not always.

Dr. Rick :

It is an inflammatory disease of blood vessels, especially one in the head and neck.

Dr. Rick :

A blood test, called a Sed Rate and a C-Reactive protein, along with other finding can easily tell you if you suffer from this potentially blinding disease that can also cause strokes and other problems with blood vessels.

Customer:

how quickly can the disease progress seeing as it has only happened starting last week. I have always had back problems

Customer:

How fast can this disease progress

Dr. Rick :

If you have this disease -- and I am not saying that you do -- in my practice I consider it an emergency to start therapy the moment I suspect a patient has it.

Dr. Rick :

It can progress very, very quickly.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

is there a usual age when this can happen

Customer:

one more question

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is more common in patients over the age of 50.....and, you are right, I don't know how old you are :)

Customer:

49 and one last question (i think) does it usually go away when you take asprin

Dr. Rick :

If you want to come to the Midwest, where we have over 6 inches of snow, I will keep your spot warm in the British Virgin Islands for you lol!

Dr. Rick :

no. Aspirin does not make this go away although it might help a little bit with the discomfort and pain.

Customer:

thats another thing - our medical system here is not of the highest standard thats why i am trying to get as much information as possible

Dr. Rick :

I understand. Here is a good webpage on GCA:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/giant-cell-arteritis/DS00440

Dr. Rick :

This may not be what you have, but from what you have told me I would sleep better tonight knowing you have at the very least had a Westegren ESR adn C-Reactive protein blood test......

Customer:

thank you - i am hopeful that it is not that as i only seem to have only 2 of the symptoms so far

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure that those are available in the BVI

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

you too and thanks again

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

After getting more snow today my thoughts turned to you down there in the BVI and I wondered how you were doing. Did you have a chance to see a MD and, if so, what did she find?