Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had corrective surgery for having a crossed R eye when I

I had corrective surgery for having a crossed R eye when I was 6 years old. No glasses or patch afterward. Now 40 years later people are starting to notice my L eye crosses inward. I don't notice it and it does not affect my vision. I am concerned a little because I also have epilepsy and they don't know why. I have an appointment with my eye doctor on thursday who at first told me it could be a residual from the surgery which I would be okay with except it is the opposite eye that is crossing now.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

How is the vision in your eyes? Do you know if it is 20/20 in each one, or is one eye weaker?

Dr. Rick :

This would be the vision with your glasses on....

Customer:

My Opthamologist has prescibed transition lenses and told me I do most of my seeing with my left eye.....I having trouble using them for computer work and reading....I guess I am not used to them yet

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like you have a weak eye (amblyopia) from your childhood strabismus. This makes sense since you were 6 years old at the time of your eye surgery.

Customer:

That was my R eye that was fixed....my left eye is the one crossing now

Dr. Rick :

One more question. Have you experienced double vision during at any time when your family has noticed that your eye is turning inwards?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I noticed that in your post...

Customer:

I don't notice it....my friend here at work has noticed it, my boyfriend noticed it Saturday evening while we were watching a movie and that is when they ask me if I am okay? I have a headache almost every morning but I take seizure medications that can cause them.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So. Let me make sure I understand. Your friends have noticed that your left eye is crossing at times toward your nose. This causes you no symptoms, as a matter of fact, if your boyfriend hadn't mentioned it you would have never known it was happening. In addition you have a history of seizures, which has been stable and you also get headaches a lot, but the headaches have not really changed at all.

Dr. Rick :

Do I understand you correctly?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Here is the last part of my post:

Dr. Rick : Ok. So. Let me make sure I understand. Your friends have noticed that your left eye is crossing at times toward your nose. This causes you no symptoms, as a matter of fact, if your boyfriend hadn't mentioned it you would have never known it was happening. In addition you have a history of seizures, which has been stable and you also get headaches a lot, but the headaches have not really changed at all.

Dr. Rick : Do I understand you correctly?

I look forward to your reply.

Also, please accept my apologies for the chat system messing up on us :(
Oops.....thanks for the positive feedback, but I still owe you an answer.

It is not unusual for someone who had crossed eyes (strabismus) with secondary amblyopia (decreased vision in one eye) to, sometime later in life, have their eyes start crossing again. It does not necessarily have to be the same eye that crosses as it was when you were a child.

I think you are on the right track. The ophthalmologist will be able to make sure that there is nothing going on with your eyes and your seizure doctor will make sure nothing new is going on with your seizure history or your anti-seizure medicines.

The good news? If the crossing of your eyes doesn't bother you, and everything else checks out OK, then there is no need to have surgery again etc.

One other thought....I would venture to guess from what you have posted that you can not experience the 3D effect in 3D movies.....

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.