Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have had an eye discharge problem for 7 years. The only Rx

I have had an eye discharge problem for 7 years. The only Rx that works is LOTEMAX. Drs have a concern about using this Rx continuously because it is a Steroid and can effect Eye Pressure. What can I do to stop this constant discharge in both eyes that causes pressure around them and Discomfort especially in the A.M.??

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have mattering/crusting of your lashes upon waking, burning, stinging, and/or gritty sensation in your eyes?

It has been crusty in the past but for some time has been puss like either at the bottom of my eye or surrounding the eye, top and bottom....

Are you there??

Doctor DanB : I'm sorry. Yes, I'm here. I went through an area with no signal on my phone. Have you ever been told that you have blepharitis and been told to use hot compresses and eyelash scrubs?

Not sure about Plephartis but Yes ot Compresses and Scrubs

Doctor DanB : For how long did you do those consistently?

Every Morning and Nite continuouly and often in between...

Doctor DanB : For how long now?

For 7 years...

Doctor DanB : Have you been prescribed any antibiotics (oral or drops) to be used for this? Does Azasite sound familiar?

I used Azasite once and am not sure about it's results, know lotemax as only Rx that works

Doctor DanB : Do you remember for how long you used it?

less than a month....

Doctor DanB : It sounds like you do have blepharitis and that in addition to the baseline level treatments of warm compresses and eyelid scrubs, you require some constant or near constant pharmaceutical intervention. Azasite is an antibiotic that actually has anti-inflammatory properties ( like a steroid) without the side effects of the steroid. If you were my patient inwould try using that as the more consistent drug choice to avoid the effects of steroids as much as possible.

Okay, Will discuss with my Dr, What is the Best Eye School or Hospital in the U.S.??

Doctor DanB : There are several very good ones. I can recommend one based on where you live. What city and state are you located in?

mission viejo, calif between l.a. and sandiego...

Doctor DanB : Okay. One of the best eye institutes in the country located near you is the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. Do you have any other questions about this?

No, TY!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!