Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having some fluid or discharge from one ear only. Seems

I am having some fluid or discharge from one ear only. Seems like a clear liquid. Not a lot, but when I wake up in the morning I notice my one ear is crusty from the discharge over night
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

How long has this been going on for?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wear a hearing aid & it has been like this for about a month now. I have not used my aid for this ear for about that amount of time. I was thinking it was my aid that caused some irritation in my ear so I stopped using it thinking that this would fix the problem, but it has not.

Ok. Given your history of hearing aid use it sounds like you have otitis externa. This is an infection or inflammation of the external auditory canal and is caused by a bacteria, or in most cases like yours, a fungal infection.

The good news? In the vast, vast majority of cases this can be cleared up with topical therapy so oral agents are not needed.

I suggest you consult your MD so she can start you on ear drops. Before picking the best combination of treatment for your ear your doctor may want to take a sample to evaluate under the microscope or, rarely, to culture.

Once therapy is started you should notice a rapid improvement and should be able to get back to wearing your hearing aid (which you need to clean really well first) quickly.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick