Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have severe neck pain on the right side, that causes pain

Customer Question

I have severe neck pain on the right side, that causes pain on right eye for several years now. I've been to a neurologist and did the MRI. The doc told me that it's a nerve that goes from behind my neck to the back of my eye. And he offered to shoot something into that area to numb it. It stayed in effect for about 30 days and I had to come back to shoot again. I told him that I didn't want to keep coming back every 30 days. So he gave me pain killers and I have been taking it since. MRI didn't show anything wrong. I went to PT as well and when they massage my neck the pain went away.

At first the pain level went from 1 to 10 in 8 to 12 hours. But in the past 14 days, it went from 1 to 10 in 30 minutes. When this happen, I feel like something is crushing my eyeball. I felt that the problem has worsen. I don't know what to do. Pain killer is definitely not an answer that I need. What could possibly wrong with me?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom-Eye : Hello and thank you for your question. I know that it is frustrating when you can't get the relief you need. i will try to help.There is a condition called occipital neuralgia . It sounds as though you have been accurately diagnosed and that while your treatment was appropriate but that you need more management. Please tell me if you have had an ophthalmologist evaluate your eyes?
Customer:

Dr. Tom are you still there?

Dr. Tom-Eye : yes.......standing by.
Customer:

Yes I did have an ophthalmologist evaluate my eyes. He said everything is ok.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Ok...got it. Please tell me if the ophthalmologist evaluation was before or after the neurologist began treating you?
Customer:

Yes the ophthalmologist evaluation was done several years before I went to the neurologist.

Customer:

I also went to a chiropractor, and Physical therapist.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Thank you for that...........it is completely reasonable that your eyes were judged to be normal several years age because the problem is referred pain to the orbital area. Do you live in a large metropolatian area?
Customer:

Yes I do, I live in Denver, CO.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Great. My advice, and the way I would take care of one of my patients with your condition, would be to get them appointed to a neuro-ophthalmologist. I first learned about your condition from a neuro ophthalmogist at Johns Hopkins about 20 years ago. In fact, I sent my daughter to him for a similar condition. If you would like I will do a little research and find you a referral in Denver. Would you like me to do that for you?
Customer:

Please do. You sounded like godsend to me right now.

Dr. Tom-Eye : That will be my pleasure. It's a little late here on the east coast, so if it's ok with you I will check out some Denver references tomorrow and send you the name of a doctor with the perfect credentials...........because of how the JA systems works, I will have to switch over the Q and A format. When we do , you will be asked to rate my response to your question. Please understand that I am with you until you are satisfied......but please go ahead and do the rating tonight. Then I will be able to get back to you tomorrow. Does that make sense?
Dr. Tom-Eye : Please don't become frustrated with your problem or this JA system. We'll handle both of them. Be aware that because of the way this JA system is set up, when I send you the referral it may take 24 hours for my follow up referral to get to you. But you can be sure that I will get the referral name to you.........is there anything else that I can do for you tonight?
Customer:

That's all Doc. Thanks for your help and have a good night.

Dr. Tom-Eye : Ok....I am switching over now.....and will get back to you ASAP.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Here are two references for you to consider:

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/neurology/Faculty/Pages/Bennett.aspx

AND

Wilson W Bruce Neuro-Ophthalmology & Orbital Srgry is listed under the Denver Ophthalmologists category and is located in 850 East Harvard Avenue Suite 355, Denver, CO. It can be reached at phone number (303)733-5333.

Because of the complexity of your condition, I would consider the first link. Dr. Bennett is chairman of an academic department, where the level of care should be surperb.

Please understand that I do not personally know these doctors.

Thanks for letting me help you. Best of good luck. Dr. Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help Dr. Tom. I have contacted Dr. Bennett and is waiting for the hospital to arrange an appointment.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Great, I hope it goes well. Dr. Tom
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vince..
..this is just to let you know I will get you the referral name ASAP. Dr.Tom