Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

wHAT IS A STYE CAUSE FROM?

wHAT IS A STYE CAUSE FROM?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

A sty is caused by bacteria infecting a gland in your eyelid and is usually associated with a condition called blepharitis. Usually the bacteria is a staphylococcus.

Dr. Rick :

It is also more common in people with inflammation of the eyelid margins from conditions such as ocular rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis, although it can form in people who do not have these underlying medical problems.

Dr. Rick :

Here is some information on treatment....although you did not ask for this in your post:

Dr. Rick :

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

so I how did I get this? whats to say I won't get it again. I have had about 4 of them since this summer.

Customer:

I have 4 of these since summer. Why so often?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a female can mascara cause a sty? It seems I usually get one after using mascara.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Normally mascara does not cause a sty and, furthermore, there is no need to throw out all your mascara after you have a sty.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest