Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have been diagnosed with ocular hypertension and prescribed

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with ocular hypertension and prescribed Lumigan drops. Will I always have to use drops to alleviate this condition or will the drops cure it in time?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Great question. I hear it all the time in my practice. I'm glad to give you the answers you need.We treat ocular hypertension to prevent glaucoma. Yes, you will need your drops indefinitely Think of it as a precaution, similar to cleaning our teeth twice a day. We get use to the routine and do it to prevent gum disease and cavities. Your ophthalmologist is doing the correct thing, to protect your eye. The treatment does not "cure" ocular hypertension, but it lowers the risk of developing glaucoma.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

It appears that you are off line, so I will switch over to the Q and A format.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

I'm available to answer further questions if this doesn't cover what you needed. But if you don't have any other questions please rate my response to you before you check out.......and use your drops! Best wishes. Dr. Tom

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

When our chat has ended, you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate my service to you. Please click a " Smiley Face". Thank you for letting me help you.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Since you didn't check out, I thought I would see if you had any other questions? Dr. Tom
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan.......we are waiting for your rating of my service....thank you.....dr. Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a cataract removed from this eye over a year ago, and this was the result of that. My eyesight is poor now and I have difficulty reading or doing close work, which I didn't have before. As the NHS are not good at giving explanations I didn't know if this was normal after a cataract operation.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Joan. Post cataract surgery is occasionally associated with ocular hypertension. Your doctor is doing the right thing for you. You will need to keep your eye pressure in a normal range. And it sounds like your doctor has used the correct medication. I am glad that you checked back in for your follow up question. You can continue to ask more questions, even after you rate my service to you. So please click a happy face before you check out this morning. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joan, if you don't have any other questions, please click a happy face to rate my service. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan, I thought I would just check back in with you to see if I can encourage you to click one of the smiley faces. Our conversation doesn't end until you have rated the value of our chat. Please do so. Thank you