Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello. I received laser surgery yesterday to repair a retinal

Hello. I received laser surgery yesterday to repair a retinal tear in my right eye as a result of trauma. My question is if exercise is permitted after the laser surgery and if I should wait until my retinal tear is confirmed as fully healed by my ophthalmologist before continuing exercise such as running and light weightlifting. I understand that waiting for the tear to heal is always preferable but wanted to understand if there would be potential risks.

Here is some background about me and my circumstances:

- 26 year old male with 20/20 vision in both eyes
- No previous eye problems or eye conditions in family history
- Retinal tear is a result of being punched in the eye during sparring (kickboxing) a week ago. Punch was not at full speed but enough to cause swelling for a few days and slight temporary blurred vision. Do not believe finger nail made contact with my eye.
- Noticed floaters 4-5 days after being punched with rapid eye movements (horizontal line and slight dots)
- Looked up-left during laser surgery for retinal tear
- No eye-drops prescribed after laser surgery

Based on my ophthalmologist's recommendations, I plan on avoiding contact sports until the retinal tear is fully healed as well as activities that require constant eye movements. However, would running or light weightlifting be permissible in the interim, as a general guideline under the circumstances outlined? For example, would the position of the tear (looking up-left during laser surgery) put me at lower risk for complications from these exercises?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon. Thank you for your history.

Dr. Rick :

You are correct. No contact sports, heavy exercise or jumping up and down until after the laser spots have had a chance to scar down around your retinal tear.

Dr. Rick :

In my practice I tell patients to avoid any heavy activity for 7 to 10 days in order to all the the laser "welds" to scar down strongly enough to be considered permanent.

Dr. Rick :

So. In your case. No jogging. And as to weight lifting...that all depends. What you might call light and what an Olympic Champion Weight lifter might call light are two different things......I would do very little weight lifting, maybe limiting yourself to what your wife/girlfriend can easily lift :-)

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Rick. Could there be any risk involved in the future from performing such exercises like running and heavy lifting even after the tear has healed?

Dr. Rick :

No. Once the tear has healed you can resume all your activities.

Dr. Rick :

You can do as much eye movement stuff you want....

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

haha yeah I had was going to keep the working out moderate in the meantime..I have gone jogging shortly after the laser surgery and the day after thinking my Dr. meant to avoid activities that required sudden eye movements. It wasn't until I started reading more that I realized exercising could be a problem. Could there be risks for me having done so?

Dr. Rick :

Are you having more flashes of light or noticing a curtain coming across your vision from any direction at this moment?

Customer:

No. It's the same as before the laser surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. You are most likely fine....no harm done.

Customer:

Thank you for your time and answers Doctor. My last follow-up question would be based on having looked up-left during my laser surgery. Does that give any indication of where the position of the tear is and how severe it might be?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Your most likely had a peripherial superortemporal retinal tear. I'm glad you got this fixed before it progressed too far as tears in this area can progress fairly quickly.

Customer:

That doesn't change your prior response..that I may resume prior activities once this has healed correct?

Dr. Rick :

Nope. :-)

Customer:

Even kickboxing in the future once fully healed

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. Although it is always a good idea to try not to get kicked in the head

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

Thank you so much Dr. Rick. That answers my questions to my satisfaction.

Customer:

haha I try not to let that happen

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer:

You too. Thank you again.

Dr. Rick :

Take care.\

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.