Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have these small grey dots inmy field of vision, and when

I have these small grey dots inmy field of vision, and when I turn my head right to left quickly, I see flasnhes of light...what should I do ??

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how long have you noticed these symptoms? Minutes/hours/days/weeks ??

Customer:

Last 24hrs

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was it like a sudden shower of floaters with flashes of light? Is there any blurring of vision in any part of the visual field in one of the eyes?

Customer:

The floaters came first, yesterday afternoon, and now I have these flashes , if I turn my head quickly. There is no blurring, just these floaters

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is important to know if there is any blurring of vision ( it is decribed typically as a curtain or a veil falling in the line of vision). If the vision in both the eyes is absolutely fine, then the floaters and flashes are likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Customer:

No there is no blurring...what is PVD and what do I do about it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a note on PVD -

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion. Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist. This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals. You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer:

Thanks for this advise..its just that I live on a remote island and was concerned it may have been serious

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand your apprehension. I hope you get to have the routine eye exam by an ophthalmologist so as to confirm the above. Take care.