Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I started using Restasis and after about 6 days of use I noticed

I started using Restasis and after about 6 days of use I noticed eye redness, foreign body sensation, and occasional burning feeling in an area of my right eye. That only lasted about 2 days so I continued using the drops. Then another 7 days later I was feeling the same redness and foreign body sensation in that same area of my right eye again. Those side effects didn't go away after about 3 days so I decided to stop putting the Restasis drops in. I used the drops for 15 straight days, but I had these side effects happening. Do you think it was a good idea for me to stop using them for now? Or do other patients with these problems just have try and get through it until it goes away?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes, are you an eye doctor?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I am an ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The symptoms ,eperienced by you, are common side effects of Restasis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

experienced

Customer:

ok, what do people usually do when they experience these side effects?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Either the side effects are very mild, so the drops are continued, or the side effects are more such as the stinging or burning sensation, which makes the person discontinue with the drops. So you can just whether the side effects are more than the beneficial effects and decide. If the burning sensation is worsened after its use then bring it to the notice of your eye doctor. It would be better if you could use the refresh plus eye drops regularly rather than when needed.

Customer:

i use the refresh drops mostly once every 2 or 3 hours, so i'm not sure if that is considered regular use or not

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Yes that is regular use. Since you had mentioned"when needed" I was not sure how frequently you were using it.

Customer:

yeah pretty often

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dry eyes following lasik is quite common but it does subside with regular use of lubricating eye drops over a period of 6 months to one year.

Customer:

that's good to hear, i hope it does subside

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have other issues too such as blepharitis which contribute to dry eyes, it must be takes longer to subside.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have been given the correct treatment for blepharitis - warm compresses, lid scrubs, lubricating eye medicines.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ocular rosacea is characterised by presence of blepharitis and dry eyes. If you have not been given treatment for this condition, you can ask your ophthalmologist to try a course of oral Doxycycline , 100 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. It could help in the treatment of the blepharitis.

Customer:

am i being charged $38 for just one answer? or is it $38 for the chance to chat with an ophtalmologist?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you are charged 38$ for one question. You are free to ask follow up questions even after you have accepted the answer and rated it ( follow up questions are NOT charged and are free).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you in this regard?

Customer:

ok, so do i have the chance to accept the answer after our chat?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

is it too late to talk about any eye issues?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, in fact it is morning in my part of the world !!!

Customer:

oh thats nice. so anyway, i did try taking doxycyline 100mg for a while but i also have gerd. therefore i was feeling more heartburn symptoms than usual when i tried the doxy. so i stopped taking that

Customer:

i put a rating of poor service only because you went offline unexpectedly. i'm new to this just answer website, so i didn't really get to discuss much of the stuff i was hoping to. i am starting to see how the website works now. i feel like you were able to help me a little bit, but i didn't really gain any new information from this.

Hello Scott,

I am available for further communication here.
Sorry did not get your reply fast enough to respond back, so I switched over to the Q&A mode.

No problem if you discontinued with the Doxycycline. What you need to do at present is to continue with the lubricating eye drops and ointment, lid scrubs, warm compresses and consult your eye doctor for continuation of Restasis ( depending on the ocular findings after eye exam) .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, i agree that those are the things i should continue to do. then, i will try to get in to have my eye doctor check my eyes after i used the restasis, to see if i should be using those drops.

i also have some other concerns with my vision. After the lasek surgery i have had sensitivity to bright light (mainly sunlight) where i have to still wear sunglasses during daytime unless it is very cloudy. and when i look at something kind of bright i get these floating lines in my vision, which i barely ever saw before the surgery. i feel like i have headaches more than i ever used to and i am wondering if some of this is due to eyestrain or dryness or what.

these are my main concerns that i have had for weeks, so if you can help me figure any of this out i would appreciate it. im hoping to make my vision better and feel better again. even if your not sure what to do about these issues i will give you a better rating because i can tell you are giving me good advice.

Glare ( sensitivity to bright light) is one of the known symptoms following lasik surgery and is likely to come down over a period of time. You can continue to wear sunglasses if it is bright and sunny outdoors. The floating lines could have possibly occured due to posterior vitreous detachment in which the thick gel in the middle of the eye gets detached from its surrounding retina and floats, giving rise to symptoms of floaters in the form of lines/patterns/rings/spots.This should not be matter of great concern as vitreous degeneration is otherwise also known to occur in case of myopes ( even without lasik). You can bring this point to the notice of your eye doctor at the next visit so tha a dilated eye exam can be done to look for the above.

Most of the symptoms you are experiencing are observed quite commonly by those undergoing lasik, but these tend to disappear or subside gradually over a period of time, say 6 months to 1 year.

I hope you found this information useful and was to your satisfaction.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Dr. A.S. Desai, I've been very busy in the past couple months and I forgot to get back to you. however, I did notice that my account had the $38 taken out, so I'm guessing that means you did get credit for answering my question from back in December. that's good if you did get credit for that, because you did help me with my questions.

I did have one appointment with my eye doctor and that was in mid-December. He didn't notice anything really bad with my eyes, but he could tell that I still had dry eye spots from doing some dry eye test. overall, it seemed like I didn't gain any useful advice from that appointment with him.

Around that time I bought a book called Dry Eye Remedy by Dr. Robert Latkany. I've only read bits and pieces of this, but I can already tell that this is a very informative book because Dr. Latkany specializes on the topic of dry eye.

I read about ideas for dry eye treatment such as punctal plugs, autologous serum drops, scleral lenses to name a few. I'm interested in finding out more about the pros and cons of these treatments, and I'm hoping to figure out which would be the best for me to try knowing my particular eye issues.

Sincerely, XXXXX

Hello Scott McMillan,

I am glad to know that you got an eye exam done in december and that the eyes are not as bad as you thought .

As for me being credited for the answer, then NO I have not received any credit so far. You are yet to give me a positive rating .

I would like to opt out of the question as I feel I cannot give you further advice regarding the next treatment plan , without actually having examined your eyes.

Thankl you and best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay. do you know what the pros and cons of punctal plugs are? getting plugs inserted into my tear ducts is most likely going to be my next treatment attempt.

I'm interested in finding out if people with blepharitis, ocular rosacea, and chronic dry eye from lasek are people that sometimes benefit from having punctal plugs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have any response to my last question or do you have no knowledge of the punctal plugs?

I do know about punctal plugs and can tell you that it definitely helps for severe dry eyes conditions. Initially temporary silicone punctal plugs are placed and they help to retain the existing tear film in the eye. Thus it gives relief from dry eyes. However one can consider going for permanent punctal occlusion as a last resort provided there was no excessive tearing after the trial of temporary plugs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay, thank you for all your help with the eye questions I had for you. I already tried giving you a good rating just a few minutes ago but something popped up saying that I already gave a rating and it said that I will have to pay again if i wish to give another rating.

Since i already had $38 taken out of my account from this website, i don't want to have another $38 taken out. so i'm not sure what to do about this, but i was trying to give you a good rating

Thank you and best wishes.