Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Thereve been times when, while showering, the water stream

There've been times when, while showering, the water stream from the shower would accidentally hit my eye (in this instance, this morning, my eyes were closed, so there wasn't direct contact - the water stream hit my eyelids.) There was pain for some time and I'm wondering if the water stream could cause damage by applying force to the eyeball in such a manner? I do try to avoid this happening as much as I can, of course, but it still happens.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news.

Dr. Rick :

You have nothing to worry about from water in the show hitting or applying force to you eyeballs, either when they are open or closed.

Dr. Rick :

Also, there is no risk of damage from normal, household water getting in your eyes during a shower.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose my question has more to do with the pressure in eyeballs. If the water from a hose with pressure (which is what a shower is) impacted the eye, wouldn't that raise the pressure in the eye?

No. Normal household water pressure from a hose or the shower will not cause any significant increase in your intraocular pressure.

There is no need to worry about this.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.