Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Pigmentation back of eye, Dr says normal aging may less to

Pigmentation back of eye, Dr says normal aging may less to macular degeneration. Very myopic lots of glisters,laser forvrrtinal tear 10yrs ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was is it observed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A lot more details of the pigmentation would be needed such as the size, its position ( in the retina), focal or diffuse, visual acuity. There can be lot of benign conditions with pigmentations. Sorry there seems to be a problem with the chat. I will switch to Q&A mode so that we can continue to interact there.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Janet,

Sorry for the system error. There seems to be a problem with the chat system presently. However we can continue to send text messages here.
The pigmentation observed should be documented by fundus photography. This will help in all future references. A pigmentation becomes significant only if shows an increase in size/ increase in density of pigmentation/ spreads all across. Additional tests are then done so as to detect the underlying cause. You have mentioned that you have myopia. Myopia is known to be associated with tesellated fundus ( tigeroid apearance of the retina with scattered pigmentation). I would suggest that you get the retina examined by a retina specialist at your next eye check up so that the findings can be documented .
As for the possibility of macular degeneration, there are two types- dry and wet type of age related macular degeneration(ARMD). The dry ARMD is benign and does not cause any vision related problem. It is the wet ARMD which is responsible for reduced vision. It might appear as a dark lesion with pigmentation at the macula ( central part of retina). However it needs confirmation by dilated eye exam and additional eye tests. A routine eye xam by a retina specialist should be sufficient.

Thank you and best wishes.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince