Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

What are the lens options for shortsightedness?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Just to get our conversation going, generally speaking, lens options for myopia fall into three groups; external lens ( fitted in traditional frames), contact lenses and intraocular lenses( these are used to and we remove cataracts and sometimes as clear lens exchanges).

Dr. Tom-Eye :

If your questions about the type of lens materials used in today's spectacle lenses I would like to refer you to a nice short article on the Internet that succinctly answers that;

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Your posting noted that the individual was 21 months of age. Most ophthalmologists would recommend spectacle lens (eyeglasses), and wait until the child was much older to consider contact lenses.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Does that cover the information you expected based on your posting?

Customer: My question is around thickness of lens. Are there other options other than "coke bottle lenses. Her numbers are -7.5 and -11.5.
Customer: Glasses are a given yes at her age
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Okay, as to thickness...... high-index plastic lens are among the thinest... And most expensive. This I know because my wife has about the same level of myopic correction that you have described. She really has to work to find cosmetically acceptable frames that hide some of the edge of the lens thickness. Find a good optician in your community that will work with you. If there is a pediatric ophthalmologist in your community he will have experience with opticians who do good work in fitting pediatric frames. I'm glad you have found your child's myopia early and that you will assure her the best possible opportunity for developing excellent vision. Best wishes.

Customer: Ok so the high-index plastic lenses are available for babies? Also, would they look in the frames the same as anyone else with glasses? That is not like coke bottles! Would they be available in Australia?
Dr. Tom-Eye :

Yes, high index lenses can be placed in pediatric frames. Below I have attached another website for you to take a look at. It discusses the issues with lens thickness at high levels of myopia. It comes from the Zeiss company website. Zeiss is a worldwide company so that would be a high level of confidence that their lens materials are available to opticians throughout Australia

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Anything else I can do for you this morning?

Customer: Yes. What would be the distance she would be able to see with those numbers. What has us baffled is that she looks closely at a screen and books but she navigates well and can identify a bird on a wire? Is there a certain distance say between 5cm and 30cm that you cant see and then you can beyond that?
Customer: She can even spot a bit of paper on the floor!
Dr. Tom-Eye :

That's a good question. You asked what distance she would be able to see what those numbers. With the proper refractive correction placed in front of her eyes it would be anticipated that as she matures, and her visual systems mature she would be corrected for 20/20 vision at infinity. Or stated another way, normal vision with correction. Even with her high level of myopia there is some, often useful, vision at many distances. You can imagine that this is somewhat dependent on the size of the object of regard. From what you have described about her navigation, and your other observations of behavior, this sounds normal for her age and high level of myopia.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Is there anything else that I can do for you?

Customer: Do you mean also without glasses there are certain spots/distances from close up to infinity that she would be able to see clearly? Is it likely that laser can fix this when she is an adult or it will improve slightly with time or not likely on both accounts?
Customer: Thanks
Dr. Tom-Eye :

When your child is visually mature, corneal laser refractive surgery can change her refraction to very near normal. So that is a very positive thing you and she can anticipate. But remember we're talking about the evolution of technology over the next 10 to 15 years. We can only imagine what better modalities will have evolved by then. You also asked in your last paragraph " Do you mean also without glasses there are certain spots/distances from close up to infinity that she would be able to see clearly?" She certainly will need to have classes to see clearly at all distances. Depending on the size of objects she is trained on, without glasses, she would be expected to have some ability to see blurred images, and as the objects get further away they will become more blurred. She needs to have glasses until technologies offer something new. I'm sure you will keep up with regular pediatric ophthalmological care.

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Tom-Eye :

Since you have gone off-line, I'll switch our session over Q&A. When you are satisfied that I have answered the question you posted..."What are the lens options for shortsightedness?" Please click the positive smiling face. Thank you.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks heaps